What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #600 on: April 03, 2014, 18:28 »
I am still frantically trying to dig over my new plot that is attached to my 1st one, I'm 3/4 of the way done and thankfully all that is going into the remaining 1/4 are new compost bins, a greenhouse and a wildlife haven which can wait whilst other things are done first.

Today I fed the blueberries, noticed that my kiwis look like they may have survived the frost, smiled at all the flowers on my Jostaberry, Honeyberry and Blackcurrant plants, planted a Plum tree and several new Rhubarb crowns onto the new plot (Thompson's Terrifically Tasty - what a wonderful name!) and tried to prep the newly dug asparagus beds ready for the crowns which are being delivered tomorrow, all whilst dodging the rain showers.

I still have my other half plot which needs digging over as I have a large number of chitting potatoes (the kittens new favourite toys!) that need to go in. I am very thankful to have a couple of days off work.

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #601 on: April 03, 2014, 21:23 »
Sowed some courgette,tiger marrow,snake gourd,dills atlantic pumpkin,chives,fennel,more lovage,put some potash round rasps and garlic ;)
diggity dig dig

Paul Plots

« Reply #602 on: April 03, 2014, 23:17 »
The other day... planted my 7 rows of potatoes and had a very interesting "conversation" with the new site warden about the dangers of corrugated iron sheeting.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #603 on: April 03, 2014, 23:29 »
What did he say paul

Paul Plots

« Reply #604 on: April 03, 2014, 23:35 »
What did he say paul

I think it might be best in another thread as boy did he go on about it!  ::)

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #605 on: April 04, 2014, 14:46 »
Managed to get in my first (aaron pilot) and 2nd early (maris peer) potatoes in after digging out the couch grass AGAIN!!! Sowed some red and golden beetroot seeds and some spring onion seeds. Hopefully I will get down tomorrow to plant out my brassicas and onion sets and maybe find time to tidy up a bit. Shattered now!!!

Azazello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #606 on: April 04, 2014, 15:17 »
Took my spade and fork away for the last time.

New plot tomorrow!

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #607 on: April 04, 2014, 15:22 »
Attached some chicken mesh to the side of my shed and created a bed at the bottom of it ready for my cucumbers or cucamelons to climb up. I also started to attack the bindweed AGAIN  :mad:

Yana

« Reply #608 on: April 04, 2014, 15:56 »
I am sooooooo excited because I actually made it to the lottie today to do some work instead of just sadly walking round and looking on. The chest infection is still there but I couldn't go another day without doing something on the plots.
Sowed parsnips, turnip and swede. Transplanted 48 kohl rabi and covered with home made enviromesh tunnels. Look good if I say so myself.
Sowed leftover white onion sets given to me by fellow plot holder who says that they can be pulled before the yellow and red ones are ready and they are great for roasting whole.
Prepared beds for transplanting peas tomorrow and for sowing chard, beetroot and mooli radish.
Three cups of coffee, which is most unusual for me, but needed to stop more often cos of this cold.
All in all a good day and feel much better for it, albeit absolutely worn out.  :D
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

AnneB

« Reply #609 on: April 04, 2014, 17:55 »
First visit for over a week, have been ill in bed.   Planted out all the potatoes.  OH continued to dig out broken glass, metal etc next to the wall where the polytunnel will be going (soon hopefully!).

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #610 on: April 04, 2014, 18:57 »
Got some more tilling done today,spread a bit of muck did some weeding,as i was working on plot i heard a smash went to see what it was,school kids throwing stones at neighbours greenhouse :mad:  1 broken pane and a rock through corrugated plastic,of  shed roof  :mad: so i ran down to the gate with my mobile as they came out of the ginnel snap i got them  :lol: so ill give pics to lottie holder and  a trip up to their school on monday morning to show headmaster who it was, name and shame them in the assembly hall (my good deed for the day) :D lottie holder has only just mended gh and shed as the same happened last week probably the same kids shame you cant give them a slap anymore isnt it. :ohmy:

Robster

« Reply #611 on: April 04, 2014, 19:12 »
Kohl rabi have grown on nicely so today I removed the mesh tunnel I had made.  Planted out golden beetroot.  Watered all the rows of root seeds I had sowed.  Planted out primo cabbage and placed in a bottle cloche.   spotted more asparagus growing nicely.  Had a good natter

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
« Reply #612 on: April 04, 2014, 19:48 »
Other than give myself a hernia, I dug out the asparagus beds waiting for the delivery of 30 asparagus crowns (and a cherry tree that fell into the shopping cart) that was due to arrive today. Popped back home to see if parcel had arrived, nope, so back down the lottie for round two of digging.

After digging some more, I had a change in routine and did some weeding much to the surprise of my plot neighbour who shouted over that he couldn't see any weeds that required finishing off. My New Years plot resolution is to keep on top of the weeds this year and hoeing even when there is only tiddly weeds seems a sensible idea!

Looking at the newly planted fruit trees there seemed a lot of space between them as they are still tiddly, after my excitement of buying myself an allotment box and filling it with lots of goodies (seeds) from the box at home I decided to crack it open and see what I could plant between the trees.

The answer was peas, lots of peas. I went for the chuck them in the ground method last year and it seemed to work better than trying to sow in loo rolls so followed suit this year, it will probably come back to bite me in the rear!

Once again popped back home and still no delivery 2 hours after the courier company had said it should be delivered, I was slightly worried that it may have been dropped off outside the front door and someone had 'borrowed' it so rang the company. Van and driver had been involved in a RTC (driver is ok) so all parcels had been returned to depot. Rather than wait in for a redelivery tomorrow I popped over to the depot to pick up the parcel.I now know what my job for tomorrow morning will be.  :) 

cudders

• Experienced Member
« Reply #613 on: April 04, 2014, 20:29 »
Put in the last two rows of my main crop spuds (Desiree).

Also put up one side of my shed salvaged from an old one.

Cudders

snowdrops

« Reply #614 on: April 04, 2014, 21:48 »
Dug another bucket of mares tail out & planted the rest of the garlic out. Just everything else to get on with. Oh & paid my allotment rent. Up £14 cos now we have a portaloo April to September. Apparently the more land you have the more you will be there so guess what the more you pay. :mad:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.578 seconds with 37 queries.