What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

Maarten

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #480 on: March 21, 2014, 13:11 »
Not on the plot today, but taking care of my son who is ill at home. However, The benefit was that I was at home when my onion sets (Rosanna) arrived by mail from T&M. Something to plant! :)

All the best,

Maarten

jondav14

• Experienced Member
« Reply #481 on: March 21, 2014, 15:30 »
finished tilling the last area for planting this season, all ready for the big push, after we get a bit more rain.
who pinched me marrow?

Yana

« Reply #482 on: March 21, 2014, 15:39 »
Checked on broad beans put in at beginning of the week as the wind had battered them a bit. Took a load of Pumpkin and squash peelings for the compost bin as they had started to rot in the garage.  :(
Covered carrots and beetroot with fleece as a few cold nights predicted.
Picked chard for dinner tonight and sat for a bit and took in the sound of the birds.  :D
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

diospyros

« Reply #483 on: March 21, 2014, 15:50 »
Dug nearly enough potato trench and almost filled with manure-y compost.  Saved a bit for the 8yo to do tomorrow, and to put the potatoes actually in.  Then turned contents of an existing compost bin into the newly empty one, with a bit of horse manure for luck.

Met the bloke everyone has been asking me if I've met yet - he was rotovating a couple of other people's plots for them because "they 'ant got good health" but he admired my compost I was putting in for the spuds!

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #484 on: March 21, 2014, 16:36 »
Plotfather dug a bit more of the top bed on the main plot while I sieved 1/2 of the contents of one compost bin. Bigger job than I thought. Still, a good drop of compost to rake into aforementioned bed.

Snoop

« Reply #485 on: March 21, 2014, 17:24 »
Got beds for first early tatties (Dunluce) ready. Will pop them in over the weekend. Soil a bit lumpy in places, but I've had a decentish crop before now from worse beds. So I'm hoping for the best.

Also raked over beds for broad bean plantlets to go in. Starting to feel as if things are beginning to get going.

Robster

« Reply #486 on: March 21, 2014, 21:34 »
Planted out my first sowing of kohl rabi.  Fleeced them for the frosts this next few days.  Saw my very first of the season asparagus spears. Watered the recent sowings of salsify carrot, beetroot.  Weeded around especially the autumn planted onion sets which are coming along nicely

grendel

« Reply #487 on: March 22, 2014, 11:08 »
rained during the night, but dry and sunny at 7am, down the plot by 7.30 and rotovated planted potatoes and some onions, home by 9.30am, looking grey out now.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #488 on: March 22, 2014, 14:41 »
Down the plot by 8am and had a major tidy up today - pulled up and dug over the psb that had become majorly attacked by birds (still got a a couple of productive plants left), dug over a couple of beds, repaired the fruit cage and weeded it. I also had a good inspection of the bed where I sowed broad beans a couple of weeks ago - absolutely nothing to be seen and I can't even see any beans so I might get some more this week and resow as I love broad beans! Onion sets starting to sprout though!

As I was leaving I noticed the central bit of felt on the shed had completely gone leaving the wood exposed and a hole into the inside (where we had badly fitted it originally). Had nothing down there with me to make any type of repair so will have to try and do something temporary tomorrow.

When I got home I sowed first batch of lettuce, cabbages, sprouts, leeks and also some lavender. Cucumbers and cucamelons also got sown - my first year for these two crops

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #489 on: March 22, 2014, 16:41 »
First real day on the plot of the year (slacker I know), repotted 55 of Aelfs milk bottle hanging strawberry plants. Ended up with more plants than I started with after splitting some of the crowns. Not sure what i'm now going to do with the 42 plants I bought in Aldi yesterday :-)

o/h fixed the fence that the winter winds had decided to wreak havoc with.

Now I need to do some general tidying, but that will have to wait for another day as my back is killing me!
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #490 on: March 22, 2014, 16:43 »
Potted on my selection of sweet peppers and chilli's.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #491 on: March 22, 2014, 16:53 »
popped down at 9am to pick up some builders membrane in the shed- boy it was nippy!  Aqua d Broad beans looking good, hope the flowers survive the cold a'comin.  The Red epicure just showing now.

Found a slug haven under the damp fleece, and despatched quite a few large ones under the cardboard traps.  Deployed some organic pellets under the fleece and anchored it back down so extra wildlife-safe.   

Slugs despatched so far this year- about 300! as they can all lay 40 eggs every little helps.... 8)

Yana

« Reply #492 on: March 22, 2014, 18:09 »
Covered broad beans plants I put in this week (or maybe last week) with with fleece tunnels to keep them snug.
Covered kohlrabi/turnip bed with black plastic so it warms up a bit for planting out / sowing next week if weather looks ok.
Had a quick coffee and then home to prick out Brussel sprouts and cabbages.

diospyros

« Reply #493 on: March 22, 2014, 18:54 »
We planted our potatoes - 40 Lady Christl.

Some time was then spent making an elaborate construction with holly leaves, sticks, stones and wee in the hedge bank which is supposed to discourage the rabbits  :unsure:

bravemurphy

« Reply #494 on: March 22, 2014, 18:59 »
Potted on the summer cabbage, dug some leeks for lunch had a peep at my winter caulis they are about the size of a tennis ball and as white as freshly fallen snow.

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2021

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

113 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:46
by comfreykid
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 37 queries.