What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #1095 on: May 30, 2014, 18:20 »
First time for a week it's been dry enough to actually do something in the garden - weeded, supported delphs and asparagus shoots (they've done very well this year but a few have 'got away'), split French Tarragon, which grew throughout the winter in the GH, into 2 plants and planted them in different places, one of which will hopefully find favour, re-potted one of my 2 sunken mint pots.

Many herbaceous plants need slug/snail protection when they first start growing, but my Pacific Giant Delphiniums have had some of their unopened flower spikes attacked 4' from the ground - one of the culprits was having a rest on one of them, no doubt contemplating its next meal (unlucky - it's now in earth orbit!)

Made mental note - the slugs and snails will take some stopping this year - it won't be easy to make sure 2014 isn't the year the gastropods won!  :ohmy:
A famous Winston Churchill WW2 speech suddenly came into mind - I definitely can't afford to lose this fight!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

AnneB

« Reply #1096 on: May 30, 2014, 18:28 »
Crossed my fingers and planted out sweetcorn, climbing French beans, runner beans, red peas, 3 outdoor tomatoes, 2 courgettes and a sunflower at the plot.   It is warm today and the forecast for the next week is good.

OH started to dig out new raised bed and did more work on erecting new polytunnel.

pompeyboy61

« Reply #1097 on: May 31, 2014, 09:21 »
Lots and lots of weeding yesterday. Firmed up ground ready for curly kale. Sprayed apple trees to avoid repeat of last year when codling moth ruined half of the crop. Tied in fruit canes . Planted last of the courgettes  in a raised bed . Had a few potatoes left over so planted them in plastic containers. Hope they grow before any blight attacks. Then home to look at more plants growing in seed trays and to wonder where to plant them on the allotment. Will continue with successional sowing .

grendel

« Reply #1098 on: May 31, 2014, 11:54 »
Quick early mornning trip, planted peas (about 200 plants) and weeded around garlic and potatoes.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #1099 on: May 31, 2014, 12:22 »
Couple of hours at plot. Lots of weeding.
Decided to plant out the hardened off courgettes and butternut squash. a ring of slug pellets around them to minimize slug/snail damage! Loads of them this year >:(

miggs

« Reply #1100 on: May 31, 2014, 17:15 »
Couple of hours this afternoon. Dug over a new bed for my outdoor Tomato's to go in, in the morning. Weeded the beans, peas, mange tout sweetcorn and spuds. Made a note self, get some slug pellets, the little sods have got 2 of the green beans. >:(

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1101 on: May 31, 2014, 17:21 »
Planted out squashes, courgettes and lettuces.

Planted a row of marigolds in front of the French beans (that have all sprouted).

Dug over half my mates brassica house - as the leeks are ready to go in there. ;)

grendel

« Reply #1102 on: May 31, 2014, 18:01 »
most of the afternoon has been spent clearing out the shed, I was looking for an old double glazed door that was in there, this had been destined to be the door of the greenhouse when the shed was dismantled, but since the acquisition of the free lean to conservatory, we had discussed extending it by another meter, this door is 900mm wide so close enough, just right for an extra 1m roof panel, the greenhouse is now put back behind the conservatory build, so my holiday at the end of the week will be spent on brickwork I guess.
Grendel

snowdrops

« Reply #1103 on: May 31, 2014, 19:20 »
On the plot weeded garlic & shallots, did some hoeing to save a bit of time of the rest of onions & some bare ground. At home in the garden, more tidying,washed all blue trays to go to Lottie ready for this years garlic & onions to dry/store in. Washed more empty pots & swept up a bit of the patio before I get told off :tongue2:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

AnneB

« Reply #1104 on: May 31, 2014, 19:27 »
Planted out some tomatoes in pots at home.   
Up at the allotment planted up two cucumbers, one inside polytunnel and one out, plus 2 tomatillos.   Discovered a large bright green caterpillar in the polytunnel and squished it.  It is the prime suspect for eating the growing tips off two peppers and having a go at one of the cucumbers.

Planted the aubergines in the polytunnel.  They look puny as does the okra.  Apart from the two who lost their growing tips the peppers have improved no end.
Weeded in the polytunnel and the rest of the outdoor beds. 
Sowed some rocket and coriander.
OH continued to dig out new raised bed.

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #1105 on: June 01, 2014, 00:00 »
Spot of weeding,tilled a bed and sowed 2 varieties of carrot mowed around the paths ;)
diggity dig dig

Lardman

« Reply #1106 on: June 01, 2014, 14:39 »
Moved the 6 (yes 6 over night) piles of cat pooh from the wood chip paths.  :mad: Planted out the runners, 5 purple podded and 4 desiree (white flowered - which is my preferred variety) .  Most of those purple podded seeds came up blind, bit of a shame.

Planted out the hunter BNS and sunshine squash, I've kept it to just 4 plants along the trellis this year.  Dismantled the blueberry cage and weeded  - very poor yield on them again not good as they were already on their last written warning. Tied up a few of the raspberry and blackberry canes looks to be a bumper year for both.

miggs

« Reply #1107 on: June 01, 2014, 16:23 »
Planted out the 20 Tomato's as mentioned yesterday. Weeded and watered all around the beans, peas, sweetcorn etc. Put down a few slug pellets so the little sods an eat them instead. :)
Wife strimmed all around the paths, starting to look quite good now. That's not that hard to do really as me and the wife are the only one's who go down to the allotments these days. Everybody else seems to have given up. Got a few things to go in this week.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 22:09 by miggs »

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1108 on: June 01, 2014, 16:44 »
Yesterday I hand weeded the veggie plot. I'm clearly not very good with a hoe. Planted some more runners to replace the munched ones I planted last week and sowed some dwarf French beans straight in the ground.

Today was fruit plot day , quick weed, tidy up and then cleared some of the overgrown patch on the new plot as I had convinced OH it was a good idea to have a BBQ.

Now at home with a stinking headache, probably brought on by lack of sleep as post night shift and too much sun
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 17:45 by Chaz1985 »

AnneB

« Reply #1109 on: June 01, 2014, 17:44 »
Planted out red cabbage and cauliflower in new raised bed.   Weeded a bit. Watered a bit.   

Daughter has a pond on her new plot which is very overgrown with bindweed, couch grass and brambles.  Cleared away a lot of that.

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 38 queries.