barley

Re: I couldn't resist an 8x10' .
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2014, 22:24 »
does this answer your question Lardman

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2014, 08:41 »
Bad lad !  :nowink: I'm not going to be able to tell until I've assembled the greenhouse, Im not entirely sure how Im going to manage that yet all on my lonesome.  I'm keeping my hammer on standby just in case something needs 'adjusting' but If everything is correct it should sit right in the middle of bricks  :tongue2:

Because I bricked mine up in situ I needed help moving it from the lawn to its final resting place, although it was more awkward than heavy (I did take the precaution of not glazing it first though!  :lol:) Everything else was quite straightforward, although glazing will always be on the squeaky-rear side of a truly relaxing experience.

Maybe not as much of an obvious nuisance with a soil rather than solid concrete floor, but bedding the bottom of the frame onto a good bead of exterior mastic will stop water entry and take up minor irregularities in the brickwork (not that yours will have any of course!)

You are probably not as daft as me, but in case you are, don't assume you can fit the opening light/s on either side of the roof - if it's the same as mine they will only fit along one side of the apex member, which means you would need more than the 50/50 chance of getting lucky that I had with mine!  :mad:  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lardman

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2014, 17:07 »
does this answer your question Lardman

Ah so you saw me driving home with it then  :lol:

The forecast for tomorrow is foul but I might see if I can get things together anyway, just dont tell the boss  :D

Lardman

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2014, 17:31 »
It fits  :D

There's a slight issue with the bottom rails as they have a lip on, Im guessing to hang over the base, as I've built things to sit in the middle of the bricks the lip can only over hang on 2 sides. Think I'll put some batons under it so it's central all round as I'd planned rather than having 1 side over hanging and the other not.

I need to square everything up, add the cross braces and sort out the door which I don't think I've assembled correctly.  :blush:  and I must remember to added at least 2 extra bolts into each channel, you can never have too many bolts.
greenhouse_reassembled_b.JPG

Lardman

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2014, 13:01 »
So nearly time to do the glazing  :D

A dead spade stopped play for a while, but I've been able to do a bit more this week. I've dug out another 3 feet behind the greenhouse and finished built the retaining wall. I was going to build it from class b's but then decided to kill 2 birds with 1 stone  ;)

yorkstone_source.jpg
yorkstone_destination.jpg
fireplace_final.jpg
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 13:02 by Lardman »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2014, 13:07 »
Waste not want not! looks good though, don't it :D

Lardman

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2014, 14:10 »
Im not sure which Im more pleased about - the wall or finally getting rid of the fire surround, it sucks all the light out of the room - horrible feature  :mad: .  At least now I can get some measurements as that's one of the rooms I'll be using for the new kitchen.  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2014, 14:23 »
Those bricks are certainly transformed into a really nice retaining wall  :)  The fire surround was a bit OTT for the room wasn't it  ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2014, 20:55 »
Looks much better in the garden :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Lardman

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2014, 20:35 »
After yesterdays little accident I thought it time I secured the rebuilt frame to the brick base.

For the time being I've screwed some galvanised end ties I had kicking around to the wooden batons, hammered them 90 degrees over the brick then screwed these to the inside of the wall with 2" screws.

The bottom of the frame has 7mm holes in but looking at what happened yesterday the uprights came away from the bottom rails so I'm not convinced that just holding the bottom rail is enough. I may look at some way of attaching a bracket a foot or so up the uprights instead.

More thinking required...

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2014, 15:51 »
Great job so far and I like the way you recycled the stones from the fireplace.  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2014, 15:56 »
After yesterdays little accident I thought it time I secured the rebuilt frame to the brick base.

For the time being I've screwed some galvanised end ties I had kicking around to the wooden batons, hammered them 90 degrees over the brick then screwed these to the inside of the wall with 2" screws.

The bottom of the frame has 7mm holes in but looking at what happened yesterday the uprights came away from the bottom rails so I'm not convinced that just holding the bottom rail is enough. I may look at some way of attaching a bracket a foot or so up the uprights instead.

More thinking required...

What accident? Have I missed something?

Lardman

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2014, 16:28 »
What accident? Have I missed something?

Mother Nature decided it would look better another shape and located elsewhere in the garden.  :nowink: I was very lucky, although a few of the bits are a little bent nothing snapped or sheared and it only took me an hour or so to fix, although there's still 1 corner out of square.

If it ever stops raining I'll grab some pictures of the fixings in case anyone wants to retrofit theirs in a similar way.

snowdrops

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2014, 16:32 »
Oh dear, what a shame,glad you managed to fix  it.

Lardman

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2014, 16:36 »
It's finished  :D (well finished-ish I still have some clips to put on the roof but pressing all the ones there in has managed to slice up my girly thumb so I need to leave it for a few days.  I've also noted now I've raised it up 2ft I can't reach to apex without ladders any more !

I've added some Z fitting between the panels the original one didn't have any which I wasn't keen on. I managed not to break any more glass, but I still need 5 panes. I do have most of the bits so might I tape them together for the time being.

It's only 2 ft wider than the greenhouse at the top of the garden, but it feels so much bigger inside.
greenhouse_finishedish.JPG

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 38 queries.