Chicken guard dog

• 15 Replies

Stewart P

Chicken guard dog
« on: December 27, 2013, 22:57 »
Showing my novice ignorance once more and please feel free to privately snigger but would appreciate any helpful comments.

Supposing one were to have a small flock of free ranging hens on a little bit of rural land, cooped at night but not shut in and so potentially vulnerable to nasty foxes.  How effective would an outside kennelled dog be at keeping them safe (assuming kennel close to the coop)?  I have heard that border collies are an effective guard against foxes attacking.  Is this true?

Sassy

Re: Chicken guard dog
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 09:14 »
My understanding is that, especially a boy dog, is a good deterrent to a fox. Also if they urinate around the hens area. However, a fox would soon realise if the dog could not get at it!!!

Do not feel there are questions you shouldn't ask - it is always easy when you already know the answer. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 10:48 »
you would be better off with an electric fence although I did read the llamas are supposed to be good chicken guards  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Stewart P

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 22:25 »
Thanks Sassy and Joyfull.

It was just a hypothetical question really as still some way away from the small flock on a little bit of rural land.  We assembled an electric fence today which encloses half our urban garden so our quartet can free-range, hopefully safe while we're not around.  At the moment a dog is not an option anyway and llamas would undoubtedly freak both the neighbours and the landlord.

As for Sassy's last comment, you are quite right.  It is very rare to ask a stupid question but not uncommon to get a stupid answer (though not from this site of course)

annie7

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 00:02 »
you would be better off with an electric fence although I did read the llamas are supposed to be good chicken guards  :)

I heard about that also, that llamas are really good for guarding the chickens. 

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 01:57 »
 We had Komondors as stock protection dogs. They don't bark a lot like other breeds of LGD ( livestock gaurdian dog ), they are not prone to jumping up on humans, and are highly territorial, agile and fast.

One of the most important factors is that they not leave what they are protecting as many breeds do. Fox and our Coyotes will often work in pairs with one to draw off the dogs and another to come in and do the damage to the stock, A fox or other predator is of no harm when running away and these dogs know it. When the Coyotes would start yipping and howling about dusk the boys would each give a single low bark and that was the only warning they gave.  I would often try to sneak up on them and even when I thought they were dead asleep I couldn't get anywhere near without seeing a tail wag.

Sadly we lost them both to a lightning strike this spring, as usual they were on the highest point of our place standing watch when the strike came.

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 08:15 »
wow just had to look up Komondors, gorgeous dogs. Will you be getting any more?  :)

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 08:50 »
Depends on the collie, i have known a few that have lost their jobs on farm (and nearly their lives) through their tendancy to molest the hens!
IMO collies are only good with stock when the owner is on their case ! :)

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 08:55 »
Ilooked into alpacas as guards and got conflicting advice. Some say that not all make good guards and you would need to get them from a strain of 'guarding' alpacas. :)

pepsi100

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 12:52 »
I dont know if Llamas are any good at guarding anything, but their milk is nice  ;)

Tucking the birds away at night is a good idea, free ranging is good, I think any dog could be trained to leave the hens alone (well mine shows no interest in them)

I think foxes learn about electric fences, but they will still probe around looking for a weak spot, I think they do that with any fencing (I have introduced several to dustbin heaven, I still have people feeding the darn things, as if they were pets)

I can tell when anything is in the garden, the dog just stands looking out the door, open the door and he belts out and has a good sniff about, a pee, then just checks all is okay and comes in  :)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 19:49 »
  We will be getting more in the spring, amazing dogs. In the past we have had Anatolians and Pyranese and the barking even rattled my nerves.

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 16:55 »
I see you tend to like giant breeds like me - at the moment I have 1 x 13 year old German Shepherd x Newfoundland, 2 x 8 month old Newfoundland Landseers and a 2 year old small dog who is a Staffordshire bull terrier x English bull terrier x Jack Russell.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 09:43 »
You'll probably find an electric fence a tiny fraction of the price as well....running cost wise. 
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 19:42 »
I see you tend to like giant breeds like me - at the moment I have 1 x 13 year old German Shepherd x Newfoundland, 2 x 8 month old Newfoundland Landseers and a 2 year old small dog who is a Staffordshire bull terrier x English bull terrier x Jack Russell.

Got to have bigger breeds, the Coyotes here are about the size of a German Shepard and they can be good fighters when cornered. Plus it's just cool to have a massive friend like that.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 16:21 »
A lot of poo to pick up there Joyfull!!!!  :)

xx
Life-Guard........

Started by cathangirl on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 09, 2009, 10:17
by grumpydad
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
chicken help

Started by lisawr on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 20:30
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Chicken Poo!

Started by happychickens on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 17:29
by happychickens

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 37 queries.