Neighbours sick chicken

• 2 Replies

quail chick

Neighbours sick chicken
« on: December 26, 2013, 06:40 »
A neighbour had a Seabright grower which always seemed small but she started to wheeze as if something was stuck in her throat.  She appeared to be gasping for breath and her eye were a little sore, but she had no mucous coming from her or watery discharge.  I went up and gave here an antibiotic which I got from the vet and for a while she seemed to improve, but still did not manage to shake it off and I decided to cull her in case she infected other birds.  Can anyone tell me what she had as he burned the carcase before I had a chance to take it for a post mortem.

Edited as was all in capitals

« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 08:28 by New shoot »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Neighbours sick chicken
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 10:54 »
without seeing the bird then no, but culling may have been the best option if it was mycoplasma.
When did your neighbour last worm his flock and what with? Gasping could be a sign of gapeworm in which case flubenvet would have cured it.
What antibiotic did you give her and for how long? Often one bird will respond to one type whereas another will respond to a different type.
Staffies are softer than you think.

pepsi100

Re: Neighbours sick chicken
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 13:02 »
Sounds like the same thing one of my hens had, soon as I saw her I seperated her from the rest, she was gasping, stretching her nexk and gunk in her eyes, I cleaned her eyes out, took her to the vet, he gave her this antibiotic injection, but she died anyway (just threw a fit and died)

I emptied out their hen house, washed it out with jeyes fluid, floor, walls, ceiling, all their feed/water pots, the poo trays, perches, so far I havent had a repeat of it

I dont know how they get it, all my birds have been with us since August, this year 2013
It's all about the journey, not the destination

sad
Sick chicken (help)

Started by Dave B on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 18:16
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
sick chicken help pls

Started by f7rr3ll on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 16:32
by Aunt Sally
xx
Sick chicken.

Started by Andycrow on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 25, 2015, 18:11
by barley
xx
sick chicken

Started by lucia on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2009, 21:43
by lucia

Page created in 0.689 seconds with 37 queries.