Blowaway

• 13 Replies

easyonthebrain

Blowaway
« on: December 25, 2013, 13:00 »
My blowaway greenhouse has blown despite tying it down adding bricks and securing as best as I could. I should have moved everything of the shelves albeit they too were tied on. All spring stuff that had been ticking on quite nicely in piles. Heyho, think I should be able to salvage some. At least the onions and garlic still fine... Never mind part of the learning curve for me. :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 13:01 by easyonthebrain »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Blowaway
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 14:20 »
Now you know why they are called that - although I appreciate it's not very nice when it happens  :(

easyonthebrain

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 01:03 »
Yep, it was really to get me up & running again. It did do a job albeit not the greatest but gave me the taste for growing again. Lessons learned as always and will see what if anything is worth salvaging & replanting tomorrow.  Think my eyes will be peeled for something more substantial though lol  :lol: ;)

cadalot

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 07:27 »
I lost both of mine - I had 2ltr milk bottles cable tied to the uprights and they were anchored down with galvanised tent page over the steel tubing on the base. - My pop bottle cube however remained. I have collected enough to extend the cube so I'm looking at making a plastic bottle greenhouse against the wall.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 08:02 »
Are pop bottles UV stabilised?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 08:23 »
Are pop bottles UV stabilised?
My pop bottle lean to has been up for 5 years now and seems ok, no brittle or green and it's in full sun.

snow white

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 11:24 »
Bricks and water containers will not hold any things down.  I recommend banging posts into the ground at least 12"' then using strong cable ties to tie to the posts of the frame.  The frame itself will need strong ducktape wrapped around all the joints.  Covers need to be dug into the soil.  I also made a door frame from 2x2 treated timber which I banged 12" into the soil and attached to the frame with cable ties.   My blow away has survived gale force winds and is still standing.  It does dance a bit in the 70 mph winds buts its still there. ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 11:32 »
Just proves that they're not suited to purpose!

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 11:52 »
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/gallery/40538_27_01_13_11_16_03.jpeg this is mine secured to scaff boards posts all the way round 2 feet deep ive also put a proper door in now its still here so far so good this is my second one in 2 years first time it wasnt secured very good ,the wind flattened it down  >:(.darren
diggity dig dig

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 10:48 »
My little 4-tier greenhouse is next to a drainpipe, with a piece of string fastened to the drainpipe and going round the structure at the top shelf.  Has worked so far for many years (touches wood frantically given the amber wind warning in force today!).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

easyonthebrain

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 16:15 »
I think I might be looking at a selection of the above especially duck tape at least in short term lol. More 70mph winds forecast for tonight so tied it down have some block around it and moved the vegetable seedlings that are there into the garage. The joys!! lol :D :D

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 18:29 »
I know the horse has bolted, but, I too live in a windy area and when I erected my green house I mounted it on railway sleepers and screwed it down, they are not to expensive if you shop around, certainly a lot cheaper that a new green house.

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 13:47 »
I have a very strong Robinson's greenhouse that has survived the last eight years or so, though our strong coastal winds may have affected it very slightly. I now leave the side louvre slightly open as well as the door so the winds don't meet as solid an object but go through it. It also helps to keep it less mouldy. I have no plants in there at the moment, so it doesn't cause any problems growing-wise.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

easyonthebrain

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 14:12 »
I think that may be the way I'm going to to sleepers and a real greenhouse too, once I can convince my OH to let me splash the cash lol, Happy New Year to you all

xx
Blowaway greenhouses

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 15, 2014, 11:29
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.812 seconds with 38 queries.