I put some peas in last week - meteor, has anyone else planted this late?

• 6 Replies

composthappens

I put some peas in the allotment last week, soaked them overnight and planted them under cloches, do you think they will take? has anyone else planted them this late? :wub:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
I think you're in for a disappointment, despite the cloches it will cold and wet and they could just well rot. It's usual for over winter peas to at least be started before winter gets here!

For what it worth, despite my love of peas, don't think it worth the extra hassle to maybe get a crop a couple of weeks early.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

4 Seasons

Quote from: DD.
  don't think it worth the extra hassle to maybe get a crop a couple of weeks early.

I have been thinking that for sometime now with all veg not just peas and generally tend to go with the optimum growing period. The only veg I try to get off to an early start are my spuds, both early and second early as in a really wet year like 2012 you can just about beat the blight or at least the worst of it but it takes some hard work and planning which pays off if you get it right.
I might force a bit of rhubarb for an early harvest because it's easy to do but if anything takes a lot of effort it can wait until conditions are right and I can take the easy route. It's either laziness or age or experience, take your pick.

Ever grown Champion of England peas DD? As they grow between 8 to 10 feet tall I'm going to try growing them along a Munty frame instead of the usual upright frame. I know beans do well on a Munty frame but haven't heard of anybody growing peas that way. I don't know whether to grow them in a single line as you would beans or sow them in a wide trench as you would normal peas. I supposes growing them in a wide trench would require a double climbing frame to keep them all upright whereas sowing them in a single line would just need a single climbing frame. Which do you think would work  best?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 17:37 by 4 Seasons »

composthappens

oh  :blush: it was a lovely sunny day when i planted them too  :(

DD.

• Global Moderator
It's not what's happening above soil level that counts when it comes to germination!

Potiron

• Experienced Member
Yep, put mine in about 3 weeks ago, all in one large pot and they are now about 4 inches high. They are going to get a short back and sides to-night as they are going into a stir fry  ;) (fed-up with sprouts).
Ears and Eyes open, Gob shut.

DD.

• Global Moderator
I have to admit that I have sown some peas.

However, like Potiron, they are for the snip and are currently residing in the greenhouse, having been germinated in a warm window sill!

Given this mild weather, though, who knows what may happen! Not something to be relied upon, though.

xx
Autumn Peas Meteor variety

Started by Ghost on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 02, 2012, 08:19
by Bing
xx
late planted calabrese

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 08, 2009, 14:25
by mumofstig
xx
Is now too late for autumn planted onions?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 26, 2014, 14:12
by missmoneypenny
xx
Autum Planted Peas and Onions

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 05, 2010, 16:45
by zazen999

Page created in 0.775 seconds with 36 queries.