One Hen Not Laying?

• 9 Replies

MartF

• Easy-Netshop
One Hen Not Laying?
« on: December 22, 2013, 18:28 »
We have 5 hybrid hens that we bought as POL in July and we have had a steady supply of 5 eggs a day until about 6 weeks ago.

I'm aware egg production slows down in the winter because of cold and less daylight etc but we are still getting a steady 4 a day.

Would I be right in thinking that one has stopped laying completely and if so, is there any way of working out which one?

Thanks,

Martin

P.S. I should add that I'm pleased we are getting 4 eggs - but I'm just curious.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 18:33 by MartF »
I'm not young enough to know everything!

Prod

Re: One Hen Not Laying?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 08:16 »
I have approx. 25 chickens of which 3 are  cockerels. Of the hens I am lucky to get 1 a day at the moment. :wub: They are either too young, moulting or just not laying.  I realise this next confession  may get me banded from this forum :blush: but I had to but 1/2 doz eggs at the weekend as my partner wanted to make some Lemon Curd. I hope that, it being the Christmas period, I will be forgiven :( :(

MartF

• Easy-Netshop
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 09:38 »
lol I'm sure you will be forgiven - just this once!

AlecF

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 10:46 »
In my experience, good laying hybrids will happily lay one egg each throughout the first winter at least, and hopefully also the second - but they then tend to have a shorter total laying life than pure breeds, who then start to catch up.  Rather like the hare and the tortoise.

Professional breeders use trap nesting to identify the best layers for breeding, but that's not a realistic option. Why not identify each hen which leaves the box (over a period of time) and pop on a leg ring? Eventually you'll end up with one with no ring.

Apart from that, I can only think of a rather crazy answer (which I haven't tried) - scatter some powder paint in the nestbox and then closely examine their behinds when they're on the perch!

Are you quite sure that one hen isn't free-ranging and has made a nest under a hedge, though?

Alec.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 10:58 »
Comb colour is often an indicator of whether a hen is in laying condition or not.
 Chances are that the hen with the palest comb is the non layer.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 11:39 »
they could all be laying but having a day off every now and then. However if one isn't laying she will probably start around mid February.
Staffies are softer than you think.

helens-hens

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 13:11 »
I have 2 traditional breed hens and 1 hybrid. The hybrid lays faithfully practically every day but, as expected, the traditional breeds stopped a good couple of months ago for the winter.........until today when Hilda a Plymouth Barred Rock lay one out of the blue this morning!
Helen

MartF

• Easy-Netshop
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 00:11 »
AlecF - Thanks, some good ideas there but the problem is the 4 eggs are laid in the very early hours. We let them out at first light, currently about 7:15 - 7:30 and the eggs are laid and cold. There are 3 nest boxs and at least two of the hens sleep in the nest boxes at night so although a good idea I dont think the powder paint would work, but maybe worth a shot.

8doubles - I'll check for the comb colour tomorrow, thanks for that.

joyfull - We did wonder if that might be the case but if so you would have thought that the numbers might have fluctuated more instead of being steady at 4 a day.

Think I might try the powder paint option and note which ones are sleeping in the box the night before or maybe I could even block the other two so they have to lay in the same box.

MartF

• Easy-Netshop
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 11:46 »
 :D

Well, I think my hens must be reading this forum!

this morning there were the usual 4 eggs when we let them out at 7:15am but then a couple of hours later one went back in and presented us with an egg - so back on form, (today at least) 5 eggs from 5 hens, happy with that!  ;)

MartF

• Easy-Netshop
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 14:40 »
ha ha, well back to the drawing board, I had kinda assumed we had had 4 eggs at daybreak - but my wife just informed me there were only 3 - so we are still at 4 a day instead of 5!!

So, back to plan A, one is not laying, would love to know just out of curiosity.

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Intermittent egg laying/ thin shells/ no laying at all

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:34
by Jomtie
xx
Laying then sitting but not laying?

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 21:48
by MrTwang
xx
Why is only 1 laying?

Started by Laroos on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 23, 2009, 20:27
by trinacooke

Page created in 1.03 seconds with 31 queries.