Magpies

• 6 Replies

Honey65

Magpies
« on: December 15, 2013, 08:59 »
We have a group of magpies visiting our garden this year.  Can't say I'm happy about it as last year we had lots of small birds - this year hardly any which I put down to the magpies presence  >:(

I notice that the chickens run aggressively at the magpies.  Is there a reason for that?  They don't mind pigeons...

Springlands

Re: Magpies
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 10:56 »
My hens will tolerate the occasional small bird in the run - say robins or blackbirds but anything bigger they will chase off. The probably see the bigger birds as a threat to their territory. Cannot see any reason why your birds would make a difference between magpies and pigeons though.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 16:08 »
My hens will tolerate the occasional small bird in the run - say robins or blackbirds but anything bigger they will chase off. The probably see the bigger birds as a threat to their territory. Cannot see any reason why your birds would make a difference between magpies and pigeons though.

Nearly all the crow family will eat eggs chicks and even finish off fully grown birds if they are sick or injured.

You may never have heard of a tiger but if you met a full grown one you would instinctively know it was bad news whereas a full grown pony is ok ! ;)

barley

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 17:47 »
not had a problem with magpies - but a male pheasant pinned one of my hens down once

not sure if he thought it was a female pheasant !!!

but boy did he leg it when my cockerel spotted him - the cock chased him right out the garden and even flew over the fence after him as he took off

so I would say its a territory thing

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 16:41 »
pheasants have been known to mate with hens - take a look at these offspring  :)

Staffies are softer than you think.

barley

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 19:54 »
pheasants have been known to mate with hens - take a look at these offspring  :)

oh my word I never knew that !!!
how unusual do they look

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 00:19 »
Crumbs - me neither!    :wub:
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 37 queries.