Yellowish-green Poo that isn't on Aunty's chart

• 15 Replies

PeckPeck

Yellowish-green Poo that isn't on Aunty's chart
« on: December 10, 2013, 14:38 »
Any input or idea on this poo? They seem fine otherwise. I did just worm them 11 days ago (twice 10 days apart with Valbazen). The older one has the more watery poo like what Aunty recently added, very watery one. Thank you and Merry Christmas!
yellow green poo small.JPG

ghost61

Re: Yellowish-green Poo that isn't on Aunty's chart
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 14:43 »
Seems solid and has the show of white that you would expect. I don't think there's anything to worry about. What have they been eating? Anything new?

PeckPeck

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 14:57 »
Great! So, it can be added to the normal chart. Yes, some quaker oats perhaps that white makes that color???
Thanks so much!

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 16:09 »
Not sure that I would feed them Quaker Oats? Any sugar content in them? And presume they were given to them wet rather than dry?

PeckPeck

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 16:51 »
No sugar, steel cut oats and not wet, but dry. They had it before a while back and didn't get yellow-green poo, but I had mixed it with garlic. Now, it was just mixed with dried meal worms. So, I don't think that would do it - at least it didn't before. It's also rained here A LOT - like seven days straight???

ghost61

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 17:03 »
I've always been worried that dry oats would swell up in their crop, if they have a drink after eating them. Hopefully someone with more experience will advise on this! Too many mealworms can be bad for them too! Mine go crazy for them when they get a few, they fight to get them. I try to stick to layer pellets and then just give them a couple of treats late in the day once they've eaten their 'proper' food!

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 08:09 »
Great! So, it can be added to the normal chart. Yes, some quaker oats perhaps that white makes that color???
Thanks so much!

Are you asking what causes the white bit? If so,it is made up of urates - wee to you and I! :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 09:16 by Sassy »
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

PeckPeck

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 13:14 »
LOL! No, I was asking about the yellowish-green tint in the poo. That isn't their normal color.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 08:25 »
Hi PeckPeck, where abouts in the world are you?
As far as I am aware here in the UK Valbazen is not licensed for poultry and you also have to calculate by weight  so how are you working out the dosage? A normal fowl has a similar metabolic rate to a terrier dog which would also need taking into account. Flubenvet is licensed for poultry.

Are you feeding them layers pellets or mash? or just the list of items in your post? I would cut out the oats and the meal worms for a while and concentrate on feeding them layers and just a small amount of mixed corn as a treat just before bed time  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

pepsi100

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 09:03 »
Where do I find these pictures of 'poo' ?
It's all about the journey, not the destination

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 11:11 »
in the poultry FAQ section here   :)

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 11:12 »
That section is packed with lots of useful information  ;)

PeckPeck

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 12:46 »
Joyfull - I'm in the Georgia mountains in the SE USA. I got the suggestion for Valbazen and dosage from several people on "backyard chickens". The vet had prescribed ivermectin and there was no result. I'll see if there is flubenvet here without a vet. No chicken vets in these parts - all I've done is waste money with them - better to talk with real life chicken lovers.

Sassy

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 13:27 »
Ivermectin can be prescribed by vets here although it is not licensed for chooks here. I have used Ivermectin for cattle - under veterinary supervision. Flubenvet is definitely what you need though if you can get it.  :)

PeckPeck

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 14:05 »
Okay, I'll see if I can find it in the states without a vet. Thanks!

And, yes, they eat layer crumbles mostly. The other stuff I throw in is as treats - they love treats. But, I've stopped the treats, just doing the crumbles and doing amoxicillian in the water.

URGENT! It's making my roosters respiratory wheezing worse, so his may be fungus????? There's a lot of rain here in the woods and lots of fungus growing on the wet wood - I've put a waterproof canopy up and sandbags to keep the rain water out but when they free roam there is still fungus on trees, etc. Tons of earthworms here as well which they say carries worms?? Is free range all it's cracked up to be????

Page created in 0.684 seconds with 37 queries.