animal tunnels in compost

• 26 Replies

yeadonyoungy

animal tunnels in compost
« on: December 09, 2013, 19:37 »
There are animal made tunnels/burrows in my compost heap. It's my first year and I've built a large area with old shed pieces with lots of compost and a cover inside. I lifted it last week and the tunnels are about a few inched across. There are lots of worms in the mix but some websites suggest rats? can it be a hedgehog?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: animal tunnels in compost
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 19:47 »
Welcome to the site  :D

I'll pop this thread over to the GYO forum so others can see it.

Feel free to pop back into the Welcome forum to introduce yourself and for a welcome.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 20:55 »
Could be any number of small critters. They will not harm the compost but you may get a fright when you empty it out. I have had a wasp nest, grass snake, shrew and mice in mine.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 21:21 »
Just make sure you never put any cooked food in your bin, as that will attract rats.

My brother sometimes gets rats in his bin, and so he mixes the contents regularly to deter them setting up a cosy nest in there
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 21:22 »
I dug up an unsuspecting, rudely-wakened mouse from it's bedroom underneath my dalek composter this weekend - I let the little critter be once it'd scurried back into it's hole.  I was feeling charitable  ???

If it was a rat it'd be different, though I know that's only down to my perception of a "pest."
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

diospyros

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 22:03 »
Hedgehogs are not by nature tunnellers.  Sounds unfortunately like rats!  I lifted a tank like thing I found next to my plot yesterday and found a cosy little nest with three rather surprised field mice in, and their tunnels were no more than two inches across.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 22:18 »
I like to see my compost looking like a Swiss cheese when I take the lid off.  These days when I take the lid off I use it as a shield in case anything jumps out at me, as has happened in the past. Eeek!  It's usually mice that do the burrowing in your compost.  They tunnel through the compo turning it over beautifully and it makes it cook much quicker than it otherwise would

I have had a rat in my compo bin - once  - and I just poured cold water in to flood his bed. He skidaddled  :)

Kirpi

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 07:57 »
Yes - same here. You lift the cover off to put more compost in and the top is a maze of tunnels. They seek the warmth of the decomposing materials, especially in winter and it helps to keep the heap aerated.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 21:36 »
Rats are incontinent and their urine can carry serious diseases such as Weils' disease.

I would not encourage them in my compost heap.

solway cropper

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 23:20 »
Rats are incontinent and their urine can carry serious diseases such as Weils' disease.

Incontinent? they certainly urinate but then so do I but I'd resent being described as incontinent  ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 23:28 »
Perhaps not incontinent - what I meant was that they urinate without control (which hopefully isn't you!!!).  No poo as far as I'm aware (and that's as graphic as I'm getting on a family forum!!)  ;) :D

Kirpi

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 21:29 »
Weil's disease can only be contracted from fresh wet rat urine or water which has been urinated in. Once the urine has dried, there is no risk of contamination.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 21:32 »
Weil's disease can only be contracted from fresh wet rat urine or water which has been urinated in. Once the urine has dried, there is no risk of contamination.

They leak continuously so there are always wet patches around where they have walked/run  :(

Kirpi

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 23:00 »
How many gardeners do you know have contracted Weil's through handling anything on an allotment? I'm not having a go but I seriously wonder if anyone knows of anyone?

By comparison, I have heard of swimmers and fishing folk who have so it appears the danger is more to do with contaminated still water than a few trickles on a compost heap.

allotmentann

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 23:22 »
It seems a bit pointless to worry about rats to me as they are certainly all over the allotments and must be running round my veg all the time, so I can't see that they would be any more danger in a compost heap. Having said that I am not sure I would like to find one in mine, there was a mouse in my dalek yesterday, which made me jump!   :)

xx
tunnels in my compost.

Started by eli on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post January 18, 2011, 00:18
by Paul Plots
xx
What animal is this?

Started by sheridan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 17, 2013, 07:11
by arugula
xx
Animal vandal

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 31, 2006, 10:26
by twysted1
xx
poly tunnels

Started by tali on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 15, 2007, 23:16
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.714 seconds with 37 queries.