Is it possible to use too much manure??

• 11 Replies

Yana

Is it possible to use too much manure??
« on: December 06, 2013, 16:33 »
I've put his topic in frugal living as we get manure delivered for free to the allotment, but is more to do with using too much of it.
Because the deliveries are irregular, it is a mad rush to get the manure and from a walk around the site it appears that some plot holders are piling the manure high on the beds. I guess they might be playing it safe in case they miss the next delivery, but if not, is it possible to use too much manure?
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Totty

Re: Is it possible to use too much manure??
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 18:21 »
Certain crops won't do as well with lots of manure. Brassicas such as sprouts tend to blow when planted in freshly manured ground. Carrots and other roots can fork too. For the hungry crops like courgettes etc etc, I would say no, you can't use too much.

Totty

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 19:36 »
I piled manure in heaps ready for when the brassicas and parsnips are pulled/finished.  Will spread those areas then.

diospyros

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 20:36 »
I am quite bemused by the common practice on our site of layering manure on thickly at this time of year.  The thing is that our free "manure" is mostly shavings/hay with horse droppings in, not rotted at all, and I can't see that it is going to make a good growing medium by the spring.  I guess if they're going to dig it in that's different, but I still think it would be better rotting in a nice covered heap.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 21:22 »
I am quite bemused by the common practice on our site of layering manure on thickly at this time of year.  The thing is that our free "manure" is mostly shavings/hay with horse droppings in, not rotted at all, and I can't see that it is going to make a good growing medium by the spring.  I guess if they're going to dig it in that's different, but I still think it would be better rotting in a nice covered heap.

Ours is exactly the same manure + loads of shavings... I love it and use it all the time. I dig it into the beds in Autumn and then finish in Spring if I dont have time to finish in Autumn. I grew over half a tonne this year... see my blog site on my profile...

does it work - Oh yeah..
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 21:24 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Yana

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 21:26 »

Ours is exactly the same manure + loads of shavings... I love it and use it all the time. I dig it into the beds in Autumn and then finish in Spring if I dont have time to finish in Autumn. I grew over half a tonne this year... see my blog site on my profile...

does it work - Oh yeah..

Fellow plot holders don't dig it in, they leave it on the surface and then plant potatoes (mainly) I think.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 02:58 »
I slather fresh chicken poo on my fall plot and by spring we're ready to go. No other help needed from me. The cold weather and time do enough to break it all down, and I've done this for years with huge croppings. I even do it for the carrots and I rarely get forking. My parsnips come out the size of cricket bats.

Nobbie

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 07:38 »
I'm assembling a covered heap at the moment rather than spread fesh horse manure with wood shavings. I think the horse urine in the shavings is key to breaking it down quickly due to the high nitrogen content. If you spread it, then this will wash out. Also, this leaves the heavy clay clods more open to the action of frost, but on sandy soil this wouldn't be an issue.

3759allen

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 11:14 »
i had to pile fresh/ part rotted manure on my raised border this autumn. mainly because i can only collect when the ground is dry, and not enough space to make another heap.

the raised border is under a large conifer hedge  so is kept fairly moist, i have watered it a couple of times so it doesn't dry out. however it has been slow to rot down.

the last load i got that was a couple of weeks later that is in a carpet covered heap is look almost rotted down already from a sneaky peak.

i think that spreading it thinly on beds don't keep enough heat and moisture in to speed the rotting process up. i think in a covered heap the heat builds and moisture is retained as well as non of the goodness being washed out.

back to the original question. i would personally be heaping as much manure as i could, using shuttering to get as much in as smaller space as possible. if this means borrowing a bed over winter and plant in it last with brassicas or something. at least that way you haven't got all your eggs in one basket and imo it will produce a better growing manure and there for more nutrients at the right time for the crop.

Yana

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 20:23 »
I've been really lucky and managed to get the details of the lady that delivers the manure to the allotment site. I've been a couple of times to collect a truck load each time from her and now understand why the guys stockpile it. It is amazing stuff. I've managed to cover quite a few raised beds also top up the compost bin.
I'm going to leave some open to the elements and cover others with black plastic to see what the difference is both in soil properties and growing / harvesting.
Thanks to all those that have replied and shared their thoughts.
 :D

Nobbie

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 17:13 »
Just been up to add some more horse manure to the heap and thought it had shrunk down a bit, so I plunged a long blade into the middle and it came out nicely warm :) Seems to be breaking down nicely despite the time of year. I bought a £6 car cover from lidl to cover it and that seems to be working well to keep the heat in and the rain out.

Yana

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 17:20 »
Just been up to add some more horse manure to the heap and thought it had shrunk down a bit, so I plunged a long blade into the middle and it came out nicely warm :) Seems to be breaking down nicely despite the time of year. I bought a £6 car cover from lidl to cover it and that seems to be working well to keep the heat in and the rain out.
I've got a cover on the compost bins (made from pallets and brackets so there is a top that opens) and when I opened the bin this morning, it did seem warmer inside the bin that out so that's a good sign.

xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Llama Manure and Manure in general

Started by Ace on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2011, 15:09
by Ace
xx
Green Manure and Animal Manure

Started by AllotmentTom19 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:47
by Muddylou

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 36 queries.