Hen covered in egg

• 8 Replies

ghost61

Hen covered in egg
« on: December 03, 2013, 08:42 »
One of my hens laid a soft shelled egg during the night and her feathers are covered with egg as a result.  Would love to clean her off, but she is very skittish and difficult to keep hold of once caught. Any suggestions as to how to clean her? The others are pecking at her feathers and I'm not keen on that, even if it is their way of being helpful rather than aggressive. Thanks

compostqueen

Re: Hen covered in egg
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 09:23 »
I would clean it off. You can just wash her bottom without washing the rest of her. Warm water with a bit of washing-up liquid or shampoo. Gently massage it off the egg and any crusty stuff.  Make sure you rinse it all off really well. Towel dry.  You can blow dry her on a warm setting but only if she will allow it. No need to stress her unduly.  Actually the hens seem to like to be in warm water. Well, mine did  :D  You have to get everything ready first as you can't wander off looking for stuff once you're committed

She might be skittish but they get used to being handled.  You have to make sure you have control and that she can't flap about but don't hold her too tightly.  I used to use a garden trug as a bath but you could always use the sink.  A shower attachment is a boon  ;)

Good luck  :)

ghost61

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 09:32 »
The egg is mainly on her wing to the front and breast, which is going to make it difficult to keep her still. Hubby is terrified of holding them and terrified of washing them, so I'll have to go it alone!!

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 09:38 »
You might just get away with a wet cloth with some hand soap on it.  You have to take the bull by the horns as it were as you will have to handle your birds confidently if you're to medicate them and check them for lodgers and check their feet and legs etc.  They are calm once you have them in your arms.  Once you have her wings neatly down by her sides she will be comfy and you can tuck her under your arm so she can't flap.  So, the aim is to lure her to you with a nice little treat (dried mealworms are a good stand-by at times like this)

Be brave, she is only a hen  :D  Calm but determined  :)

Hens get used to being handled if you get them to come to you. You can do this on a daily basis. They mostly run to you anyway as you feed them.  Good luck  :)     I bet there are loads of film clips on youtube about how to catch and handle a hen  :)   

ghost61

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 09:45 »
All the hens come to me and are happy being stroked and picked up except this one wriggles like mad when tucked under the arm until she is free. She squawks like she is being murdered!

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 10:01 »
I know, some of them do, bless em  :D  She should shut up once you've got her nicely tucked under your arm.  It would be easier if you hold the hen and get your husband to swish about with the warm, wet cloth  :)

Just make sure she's dry before she goes back. Or as dry as possible  :)

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 10:21 »
Baby sensitive wipes work well, and you dont end up with a drenched hen.

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 10:39 »
You do need to persevere as the pecking of egg from the hen may become agressive and they can do damage. If you really are struggling get her after she has gone to bed this evening when she should be a little calmer and at least accessible. It really does make it a lot easier if you have help. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ghost61

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 16:00 »
For a change she was very good. Perhaps she knew that I was trying to help her rather than put her in a pot! No squawking at all. Nice and calm, but terribly hard to get the egg off. Still she looks much better and dampening it helped her preen herself fairly clean.  ::)

xx
poo covered egg

Started by vichope74 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 11:54
by compostqueen
question
Poo covered eggs

Started by LivvyW on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post February 09, 2009, 13:18
by LivvyW
exclamation
Broody covered in egg, please help!!!

Started by Pretty Chick on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 30, 2010, 20:10
by Pretty Chick
xx
How high should a run be or is a covered run better ???

Started by craigpix2000 on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post December 23, 2010, 18:41
by boybrown

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 28 queries.