Refreshing/renovating an old compost heap (or three)

• 2 Replies

Casey76

Refreshing/renovating an old compost heap (or three)
« on: December 02, 2013, 15:21 »
I currently have three plastic cube-type composters, which have been neglected for a good couple of years.

The lids have certainly fatigued, and are in bits, and from what i can see on the top and at the "hatch" area at the bottom, not much composting seems to have gone on.

The ingredients were mainly a mix of grass clippings and aubiose/chicken manure.

I'm really keen to get composting again, and I might even try to do it "properly."

Any ideas on what to do with the current bins?  should I just  empty them, bagging up any usable compost and restarting the rest?  I have plenty of nettles I can bruise to add as my "green" component at the moment.

:)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Refreshing/renovating an old compost heap (or three)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 15:40 »
Despite the lids being broken it sounds as if the stuff inside is too dry, although you might have a nice surprise when you empty them and find that the majority has composted well, leaving only a little dry material to re-wet and start again.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Refreshing/renovating an old compost heap (or three)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 15:42 »
should I just  empty them, bagging up any usable compost and restarting the rest?  I have plenty of nettles I can bruise to add as my "green" component at the moment.

:)
That seems like a good plan, and if it's all very dry then dampen it down a bit as well  :)

snap jay  ;)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 15:42 by mumofstig »

xx
Compost heap/bin yay or nay?

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 13, 2016, 09:20
by Trikidiki
xx
Compost heap help

Started by Plot74 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 21:53
by Plot74
xx
Compost Heap

Started by chuckmad on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 23:22
by JayG
xx
compost heap help

Started by binner on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 12, 2009, 10:21
by binner

Page created in 0.484 seconds with 38 queries.