Putting Diatom in the compost bin

• 3 Replies

cammi

• Experienced Member
Putting Diatom in the compost bin
« on: November 20, 2013, 21:26 »
Hi folks
Does anyone know if putting the girls bedding  in the compost bin, which sometimes has diatom in it, kill off all the good creepy crawlies in the compost bin. Just a thought i had, I put the bedding in (hemp) cause its supposed to compost well and of course has the wonderful poop to add to the mix, but recently wondered about the DT.  I do add water from time to time as its alot of 'dry' to add.
Thank you
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

bravemurphy

Re: Putting Diatom in the compost bin
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 07:59 »
I was thinking about this a while ago and read that when it is wet or damp then it does not do what we use it for so therefore it should be ok.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 11:39 »
My understanding is that Diatom has no chemicals in it and is small fossilised bits from the seabed or similar so is ok to dispose of in your compost bin. whether or not it will help with creepiest there I suppose it depends if they have a similar hard shell as the red mites we use it for. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Silkychicks

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 19:35 »
To be honest I doubt just moist wil do the job because the powder does not just dry the red mite but first cuts their shell..

But I am not shure  :)

If you are very determined to compost your hemp cuts maybe it would be an option to paste the inside of your coop? Or is that what you are doing?

I have mine pasted, put all the hemp cuts on the compost heap and have lots of little beasties in my compost.

xx
diatom and compost

Started by ktc on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2011, 08:53
by kimmcb
xx
Diatom

Started by smiler43 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 25, 2008, 21:23
by Aunt Sally
xx
diatom and others?

Started by chocchicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 15:38
by chocchicken
xx
diatom

Started by pj101 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 01, 2008, 21:52
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.669 seconds with 28 queries.