Where do folk get their seed potatoes ?

• 22 Replies

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
Re: Where do folk get their seed potatoes ?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 10:51 »
Thank you for all the great replies  :D

I've been looking at a few varieties and so far, have decided upon

Kestrel, Desiree and / or Romano *

I grew Romano a couple of years in 10 old recycle boxes in my back garden and they were great.

Now I have an allotment ... WOW !!

AnneB

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 10:54 »
I will have to do some research DD and try and find an equivalent in this part of Yorkshire. 

Our local independents are more like over priced coffee shops, more intent on selling you expensive patio furniture and craft materials.  The plants and seeds etc barely get a look in and tend to be limited choice and quite expensive, which is why I usually go mail order, with the occasional trip to Wilkinsons, to get quality and choice at a reasonable price.

Goosegirl

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2013, 11:26 »
Some of these nurseries/garden centres may have loose seed potatoes:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=35584.0
If I can, I like to buy them loose and choose those the size of a hen's egg rather than big ones as my dad-in-law used to say that's what size they planted on the farm. You can also reject any very soft ones, and also have the choice to try out several varieties all at once in your first year, especially if space is limited, so as to give you an idea which ones you prefer for the following year. Don't forget to mark where your different varieties are when planting!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 16:03 »
A reputable company will not deliver early enough for you to have to worry about that.

So I would get them early enough to get them chitted? I am going to order from JBA for next years crop, I had a look on JBA's web-site but it just says after the last frost.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 16:23 »
Not sure where on the site it says that, it says delivery to suit you.

I know that JBA are one of the companies that are responsible enough not to deliver during a prolonged cold spell, in case the courier/postman leaves them on your doorstep!

Chitting is not the end of the world if you can't do it, but especially with earlies it helps to break the dormancy. It just means the crop is a little later.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 18:00 »
Thanks for the info.  :)

Delivery information from JBA's website.......

"Delivery dates are only a guide and not a guaranteed delivery date. Frost and other factors can delay the delivery of potatoes as they are a perishable product."

It all sounds good - its just me worrying over silly little things.  ::)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2013, 18:33 »
I can see how you read it, as I said they won't let them out of proper storage during a prolonged, really cold spell, but that doesn't mean it's delayed until after the last frost. After all, you can never be sure which is the last frost!

Mr Dog

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2013, 20:52 »
I will have to do some research DD and try and find an equivalent in this part of Yorkshire. 

Our local independents are more like over priced coffee shops, more intent on selling you expensive patio furniture and craft materials.  The plants and seeds etc barely get a look in and tend to be limited choice and quite expensive, which is why I usually go mail order, with the occasional trip to Wilkinsons, to get quality and choice at a reasonable price.

Not quite next to you but there's one in Ackworth (about 20 miles from Bradford) which usually has a good variety of loose, pick your own to chose from. I'm pretty sure they start selling them shortly after Christmas

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Why do folk put small lengths of plastic pipe around their cabbage plants

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post April 14, 2014, 12:21
by RJR_38
xx
Seed potatoes

Started by Ballymulvey on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 23, 2022, 09:05
by Hampshire Hog
xx
anyone got seed potatoes in?

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

56 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 20:37
by argaric

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 37 queries.