Last year's garlic...

• 8 Replies

Growster...

Last year's garlic...
« on: November 13, 2013, 20:43 »
It was a pretty sad lot, and while we can use some corms, they really are pretty weedy!

Does the team think that we should re-plant some of the bigger pieces of the largest corms, and try again for next year?

I'm thinking of doing these in modules in pots in a frost-free greenhouse, and then transplanting them into their final resting place - with full honours...!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Last year's garlic...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 20:51 »
Planting your own seed is ok but............. I decided to start again with fresh seed, rather than plant below par material  ::)

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 20:52 »
Growster, pm me your address if you want, I could get some homegrown off to you at the weekend ready to plant next week.

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 00:29 »
i planted 100 cloves off 15 bulbs that i saved from last years sowing only cos they grew so big not done it before  so going to see what happens

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 09:30 »
I agree with mum that planting puny cloves is more likely to lead to puny bulbs than not.  It runs against the principle that if you want a strong plant you must start with strong planting material.  You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear....

But, in the past I've left puny bulbs in the ground.  The following season they grew bigger.  Some of them split into separate cloves and each clove grew while still attached to the rest.  In those cases each clove didn't go on to make a separate bulb - probably because of the competition from the rest.

As members of the onion family I've come to regard puny garlic bulbs as being like onion sets.  The smallest seem to be the ones which don't split into separate cloves but go on to make a bigger bulb.

So replanting the weakest, whole bulb is an option.  Which contradicts my first statement.  Oh well!  Could be worth an experiment?

Best wishes
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 09:43 »
Every February I plant cloves from what were originally (4 years ago) a couple of supermarket garlic bulbs (naughty me. :blush:)

That's partly because I'm tight, partly because I got lucky and they grow very well here, and partly because having taken a bit of a risk in the first place I'm now super-wary about introducing something allium-unfriendly to my garden.

Not sure I'd do that if the cloves were of poor quality - would probably depend on why they were poor (i.e. whether the variety was unsuitable for my particular conditions or just had a bad year.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 17:19 »
I would say try again for next year with the bigger cloves, but also either get some new seed  or take rowan57 offer of seed and plant those also. If you plant them outside, put in planting hole some dryish compost and cover with same compost so that they have a chance to take root and not rot away. Or you could plant them in pots but leave them outside as they need some time in the cold to help the plant split into bulbs.
Then in the spring time when they look like they are growing again, feed them to help them on there way.

Ema

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 17:58 »
Garlic doesn't mind the cold, its very hard to to keep modules of garlic from getting too wet and the garlic going moldy.

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 09:58 »
A we bit off subject but did you notice that the greenkeepers at Murrayfield, Scottish Rugby's Ground in Edinburgh, are spraying the grass with a garlic solution to try and get rif of nematodes which are eating the grass roots?  If you saw the match on Sunday the players boots just lifted the grass like a carpet.
 Mods sorry if this is too off subject
Do you really need al that lettuce/

xx
Last year's garlic...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 10, 2017, 12:03
by Growster...
xx
Last year's onions and garlic...

Started by kath77 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2007, 16:31
by brendit
xx
Saving Garlic for use next year

Started by thestens on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 19:12
by arugula
xx
Growing garlic later in the year

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 24, 2020, 10:55
by Wellington

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 38 queries.