Couple of Herby questions

• 12 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Couple of Herby questions
« on: November 13, 2013, 10:18 »
1) My most recent batch of coriander has done what coriander always does - run to seed far sooner than I would like it to. Although a few of the seeds are showing signs of turning brown the vast majority are still green, and unlikely to ripen further given the recent flirtations with frosts.

I don't need to save them as viable seeds for sowing, but are they of any culinary use at this stage, and if so could or should they be dried first?

2) This year's attempt at growing French Tarragon was slightly more successful than last year's in that the plant did manage to summon the enthusiasm to throw up a few new shoots from the base, although I wouldn't say it exactly romped away.  ::)

The soil is very light, which is presumably good news - what is the best way of getting it to overwinter so it can try again next year (a little harder, preferably?!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
Re: Couple of Herby questions
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 10:41 »
Never tried to work with green coriander seeds, and can't imagine that they'll pound easily, so agree that to dry them first and let them brown seems to me to be the way forward.

Losing French tarragon is a past-time of mine, which I'm thinking of making into a career.

Sounds like yours is in a good situation now but living as you do in the frozen North I fear for its well-being.  Best way to over-winter?  Dig it up and bring it in.   I think it's too marginal and vulnerable to the whim of Winter.

Best wishes

Tom
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 10:45 »
I tried to over winter my French tarragon last year, under a pop bottle cloche, it didn't work, I lost it. I really think the only thing you can do if you want it to be a perennial, is exactly what Tom said and bring it indoors. Mine was a nice strong plant before winter and I am a little further south than you. The Russian tarragon romps away, but of course the flavour is not so good.     :)

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 11:51 »
I have at this moment ripe coriander seed in a grinder, it is my first attempt and I am disappointed, although there is a coriander taste from the seeds it is not strong enough to be useful.

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 13:03 »
I have to pass on the coriander question, mine never gets left long enough to seed.

I grow tarragon in the greenhouse which is where it overwinters.

BP
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 13:28 »
Were're thinking of doing that, Big!

And also planting garlic in modules, as like GTG, I can make a career out of killing garlic every winter...

How much coriander did you grow, Jay?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 13:42 »
How much coriander did you grow, Jay?

Ermmmmm.........only a couple of square feet so probably no more than a dozen plants (not really counted them!)
Lots of seed heads for the number of plants though.

Have Gurgled green coriander seeds and they seem to be regarded as a bit of a delicacy - not looked at actual recipes yet but if they don't keep or can't be dried I might struggle to use them up.

Looks like the French tarragon will have to be lifted - I'll put it in the greenhouse rather than inside the house and see if that's enough to see it through until next year.

Thanks for replies - keep 'em coming.  :)

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 14:31 »
Dear JayG,  Re green coriander seeds being regarded as a delicacy, the same is said of the private parts of a camel, which does not make me want to rush out and get some....

There are some nutters out there, JayG, as I'm sure you well know, so I urge caution...

Best wishes

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 16:52 »
Green coriander 'seeds' are actually small berried, inside which are the brown seeds themselves. Usually these berry husks just winnow off as the seeds ripen and drop.

If you keep them hung somewhere warm and dry in a paper bag, they should ripen slightly more, and you can blow the husks away before using the seeds

I have never managed to overwinter proper French Tarragon and always dig it up and take it in about now. (Our home greenhouse is kept frost free)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 16:53 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 20:07 »
I have French taragon 3years old is this a record its right by the wall in avery sheltered spot.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Nobbie

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 11:20 »
My French tarragon survived the winter, but not the Cocker Spaniel puppy ::)

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 13:13 »
I bought some French tarragon a number of years ago and planted it in a raised bed over heavy silt soil with abuut 5" topsoil at the time. It romped away so much that it was taking over valuable space, so I had to continually split it up as the new shoots were going everywhere. It lasted about 7 years until, for some reason, it succumbed. Now I wish I had potted some up, but I can always get a new one. Reason for its success - dunno.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 13:48 »
When I buy coriander for cooking with I always buy it as the seed and grind it in a pestle and mortar as and when I need to.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 13:49 by herbiegrowsbananas »
herbiegrowsbananas

xx
herby questions, any advice?

Started by earthing83 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 18:19
by Willowfire
xx
A couple of questions - can anyone help?

Started by bedifferent on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 02:22
by gobs
xx
Couple of questions

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 22:25
by fatcat1955
xx
A Couple of Questions...

Started by teabelly on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 15, 2012, 12:45
by teabelly

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 38 queries.