At last....

• 8 Replies

Bie

At last....
« on: November 12, 2013, 14:10 »
At last I put my peg down to my own plot, even tho it is well neglected and over grown!!! What is the best way to start the plot in wet November???? Any advice??? all welcome!  :D

Willow_Warren

Re: At last....
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 15:01 »
No advice, but congratulation and good luck with your plot :)

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 15:06 »
Congratulations on your plot. Lots of threads on here about clearing a new allotment, but for absolute starters I would cut it all down and cover with something (plastic, cardboard, weed membrane etc) whilst thinking about how you would best like to go about it.     :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 15:12 »
Well done!

Just to add to what others have said, now is a perfect time to see what the drainage is like, and what kind of weeds you've inherited. If it's too wet to think about digging, you've time to think about how you would like it to be laid out, what you want to grow, where the prevailing wind is from and where the sunniest and shadiest parts of the plot will be.

And take lots of pictures, we like pics on here! :)

BabbyAnn

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 15:21 »
What is the best way to start the plot in wet November????

... make hints to family and friends of all the tools, seeds and request appropriate gift vouchers for the coming festivities

Take lots of photos of said plot from all angles - the BEFORE photos so you'll see progress as the months progress and especially a year from now

Make a brew, lean back and draw plans of where to put things.

I've deliberately avoided the outdoor activities as it is a little difficult to advise at this time of year - if the plot is anything like mine, the soil has been bordering on saturation but at least I have raised beds and footpaths so won't be trampling down the soil.  If you can get a fork into the ground without lifting up heavy clods, you might be able to start clearing some of the weeds but I'm sure someone will be along to advise you better

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 15:31 »
You'll find loads of help and ideas here:    http://www.allotment-garden.org/allotment-growing.php

cadalot

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 18:09 »
Take a look at other people diaries and enjoy the read in the dark wet months and learn from their mistakes and get ideas from their photographs - consider starting a diary of your own - it's nice to look back at what you have actually achieved in a years time

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 22:52 »
Welcome!

JohnB47

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 23:08 »
I'll second, and third, what's been said already - strim down and cover, cover, cover. You won't believe how rampant the grass and weeds will become when spring arrives. Keep it covered and only uncover what you can comfortably dig and plant.

Good luck and enjoy your new adventure.

Page created in 0.676 seconds with 37 queries.