2 new chickens

• 5 Replies

Geo

• Experienced Member
2 new chickens
« on: November 11, 2013, 20:29 »
Put the new chickens (RIR) into the coop last night expecting fireworks this morning. It has turned out to be the best introduction so far. The older hens have been very good with them, no pecking or bullying. The youngsters even had more than their fair share of the sweetcorn tonight.

jacquil58

Re: 2 new chickens
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 19:58 »
That's great, no squabbling!  I introduced 3 new point of lays to my one remaining hen in July and the old one was a swine with them for about a month.  She's now accepted them and they are rubbing along quite well.  Hope it continues to go well for you.

Jacqui

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 20:23 »
I have had to lift them off the top of the coop and put them in 2 nights running. The last lot did this as well and it was ages before they went in themselves. these new birds are very vocal, easily the noisiest I have had so far.

jacquil58

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 17:09 »
Hi

My new ones are very vocal as well, especially when they lay, the whole neighbourhood knows about it!  I've had a problem because my new chickens brought in Mycoplasmas which is a respiratory problem which makes them sneeze and wheezy.  They passed it on to my old chicken and I had to take her to the vet.  They have all been treated and we have had to throw the eggs for 7 days whilst they were been treated and a further 7 to get the antibiotics out of their system.  We can start eating them again on Sunday.  Bought eggs just aren't the same or as fresh and I can't wait to start eating decent eggs again!  My vet told me it isn't a good idea to introduce new chickens to an old one but I didn't know that and 'you live and learn'.  Good luck with your new girls.

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 17:41 »
hi
I would reckon most of us on here have added to our hens at one time or another.
This give us a constant supply of eggs as the older birds stop laying.

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 08:38 »
The key to adding new chooks is to quarantine them for 2 to 3 weeks before adding them to your existing birds. With birds carrying Mycoplasma it may not be obvious until it is too late as it often doesn't reveal itself until the birds are stressed. Do not add to this flock until all your birds have gone to the big henhouse in the sky. They will all carry the disease now even if they don't always suffer from it and will pass it on to new ones. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
new to chickens

Started by gaynormouse on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 28, 2011, 09:54
by Craig69

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 36 queries.