Heeling in raspberries.

• 4 Replies

ianl

• Experienced Member
Heeling in raspberries.
« on: November 08, 2013, 10:12 »
Hi, at the moment I'm growing sprouts in my fruit cage as raspberries rotted away last year. I've oredered some new raspberries that are on their way. My problem is where to put them until the sprouts have finished. I've vaguely heard of "Heeling in", but how long can I leave them in another place until the fruit cage is available?

Goosegirl

Re: Heeling in raspberries.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 14:24 »
Heeling in is just a temporary planting in a trench where the roots are covered with soil to stop them drying out. At this time of year, they are not going to be making any significant growth but some bonemeal will help them to get their roots in good shape for surviving winter. I'm not sure but I think, because raspberries transplant fairly easily, I would leave them trenched-in until your sprouts are finished and spring arrives. My main cincern is that your rasps rotted away - was this due to poor drainage, in which case, winter will give you time to rectify the problem as they hate being water-logged.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 16:22 »
That's true, goosegirl. Raspberries need a fair bit of water to produce well but they hate their roots to be swimming.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 12:40 »
On my alluvial silty soil, mine are in double-dug raised beds which helps with the drainage as we get a lot of rain here, and meant I could add compost to the scanty 4-5" top soil I initially had. That said, rasps have very shallow roots and, together with the fact that raised beds dry out more quickly, last year I added a good 4"-5" top dressing of 2 year old shreddings I did and stored in one of those big white builder's bags. I have never had such good rasps!

ianl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 15:48 »
Hi, thanks for your replies.
My raspberries rotted away last year in that slightly damp weather!
I hoped that there was a bit of life in them last spring but nothing.
After reading your suggestions , I will temporary plant them elsewhere and transplant in the spring.

xx
planting or heeling in raspberries

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 26, 2010, 16:46
by Trillium
xx
heeling in

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 24, 2008, 21:54
by Trillium
xx
Heeling In?

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 17, 2013, 19:25
by DD.
xx
heeling in?

Started by lordthanatos on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 02, 2011, 18:20
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.418 seconds with 36 queries.