greenhouses- polytunnel

• 3 Replies

coppermaran

• chickens on an allotment make me happy
    • Chickens&Ducks
greenhouses- polytunnel
« on: November 04, 2013, 10:23 »
which is the best for growing in greenhouse or polytunnel . any tips or advice would be a help
Rbrewster

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: greenhouses- polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 16:30 »
Having only ever had a greenhouse, and that only for 3 years, I can't speak from experience other than what I've picked up on these forums.

The light in polytunnels tends to be more diffuse, and if you can't visit twice daily in summer ventilation can be more difficult because you can't provide automatically opening roof lights.

Others with actual experience of both will hopefully be along and add their observations, but for me the biggest considerations would be initial cost for the desired size, on-going maintenance costs, and probably the appearance (mine is 5 yards from my house) rather than differences in "performance."
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Debbieta

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 21:28 »
Hi,
I have had a greenhouse for around 10 years, it's south facing and even with doors and windows open, can get pretty hot even 'out of season'.  As such I dont grow much in it in the height of summer!!
However, I have just persuaded the school where I work to get a 12 x 20ft polytunnel (as I am head of all things gardening etc!) and it is in a slight more sheltered position.  During the warmer periods I am planning to open all the doors and net them with fine green mesh to keep out the worst of the butterflies when I am not there!  This is my first experience with a polytunnel, but a greenhouse wasn't an option due to the glass, health and safety and cost!  So here's to live and learn.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 12:41 »
currently houses bregonias and a sensitive plant in the polytunnel
grew toms, cucs, peppers,melons this year.
overwinter lettuce (round), spinach for chooks.
mice can nibble through plastic, but prefer this to broken glass.

xx
B&Q greenhouses

Started by potatopotato on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 18:27
by blue_cortina
xx
Pop-up greenhouses

Started by surbie100 on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 12:33
by JayG
xx
Greenhouses

Started by JazzyJ on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 09:16
by Harry Flashman VC
xx
greenhouses

Started by davethespread on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post January 01, 2010, 16:18
by davethespread

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 29 queries.