Slow cooker advice

• 22 Replies

Elaine G

Slow cooker advice
« on: November 03, 2013, 13:39 »
I have been 'borrowing' my daughter's slow cooker for the past year as she said she had never used it. It is Russell Hobbs and is fine.
However, as she is no longer working, I feel I ought to give it back!!
I also need a larger one to cater for 6 comfortably and ideally with a timer as I am out most days from 8am to 6.30pm.
I had decided to buy the crock pot next generation 5.7 litre one with a timer, but yesterday read the reviews on amazon. Some people complained that it cooked too hot and too quickly - definitely not what I need!
However the reviews on the Lakeland site  are all good.
So do any of you have the crock pot one and is it OK.
Or can any of you recommend another large slow cooker with a timer.
Not concerned about price within reason as I have birthday money!!

Thanks for your help

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Slow cooker advice
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 13:45 »
I've got a Breville which cooks more quickly than my old Tower one, but it has an auto function.  You need to be careful with auto functions, in that different manufacturers mean different things by that term.  The Breville auto means that it cooks initially on high for about an hour or so, then turns itself down to low for the rest of the cooking; this is very useful.  Other brands' auto can mean keep warm instead.

The thing about slow cooking is that, particularly on the low setting, things don't really get overcooked if they stay in an extra hour or two.  I don't think you'll find many with a timer (i.e. delay start) setting.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 14:07 »
When I needed my slow cooker to switch off before I was there to do it I used to plug it in to a timer switch that you plug in to the socket,sorry don't know what they are called but inexpensive,you could then use any cooker you wanted.Not sure what make mine is I'll go & look,I've had it for years. Russell Hobbs,it's quite big,has the auto function & works as Yorkie says.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

gypsy

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 17:34 »
I have a crock pot and it is deffo hotter than the swan that I had before. The pot of the swan became crazed after many yrs so that is the reason for the new one. I have learnt to adjust to my new crock pots higher temperature.
Catherine

Chrysalis

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 18:08 »
I've got a Lakeland one.  Great.  The auto cook, is quick to heat up and then turns to low for the rest of the time, like Yorkie's.  I just use it for all day or all night stuff, and don't worry about a timer.. I like the idea of a timeswitch on the socket best.  It gives you more control, I think, though I know it's not that really!  ;)

madcat

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 07:51 »
I use a timeswitch on the plug too if I need it to switch on later or off earlier.  My mothers morphy richards flavour saver has all sorts of functions and she loves the convenience of being able to fry off in it and then have it turn itself down after an automatic period etc., plus the lightness of the steel pan for moving it as she doesnt have the strength she did.  I'm not so convinced, but then I hate things that boss me around - cars, computers or slow cookers!  So I drive a manual car and a simple slow cooker from Tesco that does me well.  Microsoft I have to put up with.

(I also have a small (2pts) Prestige slow cooker that is 35 years old and still going strong. Made yogurt in it this weekend)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

chrissie B

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 19:21 »
I had a swan one , it wasent huge but big enough for 4 , It was great and I miss it had it 22 years , ive got a new one now and it does cook hotter than the old so keep a loose eye on it .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 09:22 »
I've got a crock pot style slow cooker and it does get hot!
I only ever keep it on the low setting.
Wouldn't be without it :)

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 09:37 »
I got the whopper size Morphy Richards one from Tesco but they do a smaller version. It's like a bath!   :D
It works very well and I've had it for yonks

ptarmigan

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 12:10 »
Chrissie B

How do you make yogurt in a slow cooker?  I hardly use mine except for stock as I don't like the kind of 'everything tastes the same taste' that is all I seem able to manage....another use for it would be great!

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 22:12 »
I cook a ham joint in mine or steam the Christmas pud

madcat

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 10:28 »
How do you make yogurt in a slow cooker? 

For my little one which cooks cool by todays standards, 5floz of live yogurt (fresh as you can to get a nice lively culture) and a pint of UHT whole milk into the cooker and stir to mix.  cover with a teacloth, not the lid and cook on low for a max of 45 mins.  (Dont forget it as I did once - simmered sour milk is the result, having killed the yogurt culture.  I always now set a timer!)  It will just be set at this point but a bit runny.  Let it cool and fridge and it will firm up to a good consistency.  It wont set, but is good for breakfasts and raita and oh, a huge number of things. 

Then you use a little of it to start the next batch and so it goes.

I haven't tried it with ordinary milk or lower fat versions.  I keep thinking I should be more adventurous.

grinling

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 14:26 »
mine was massive from argos, cookworks, £15. rec from Which.
makes huge amounts so freeze extra.
separate timer would be better so only 1 thing can go wrong.

nannytroll

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 17:25 »
Rice pud in the slow cooker. Lovely and creamy.

chrissie B

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 20:53 »
ive done rice pud , was lovley ,  ive done a christas pud and also good for reheating , but I find the microwave better on Christmas day .they are great on those days when you just carnt keep having to check and stir tings on the cooker .
chrissie b

xx
Slow cooker advice please

Started by New shoot on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

20 Replies
Last post October 02, 2011, 21:52
by chrissie B
xx
Slow cooker advice

Started by Elaine G on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post May 15, 2015, 16:56
by chrissie B
xx
Ham in slow cooker

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post December 27, 2008, 17:43
by Aidy
xx
Slow Cooker

Started by Heifer73 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

53 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 11:56
by noshed

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 37 queries.