Quince brandy or vodka

• 11 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Quince brandy or vodka
« on: November 03, 2013, 12:05 »
or both  :unsure:  I don't drink spirits that much and am not a massive brandy fan, but I enjoy the raspberry vodka I make.  Not this year though as the crop was pretty poor  :(

I have lots of ready prepared quince in the freezer that I was going to do quince vodka with.  However, I have been told quince brandy is very different from normal brandy and I should try it.  Both recipes have sugar and spices added so I can believe that :)

I have enough quince to try both, but don't want to waste a bottle of brandy  ;) 

Mrs Bee

Re: Quince brandy or vodka
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 15:50 »
Go for it New Shoot. I don't think it will be a waste of Brandy.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 17:08 »
Will the quince and sugar take that rough edge (to my taste) off the brandy  :unsure:  I am a wimp with spirits  :lol: 

I can drink single malt straight, gin if it has a fair bit of tonic in and anything else is usually a fruit based concoction I've made with plot produce.  I usually use the white coloured spirits like gin or vodka.  Never made anything with brandy before  ::)

If I don't like it, I guess we can always share it in 'the shed' later this winter  :lol:

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 18:26 »
I have never tried to do anything alcohol related with quince my experience being limited to quince jelly . I think the subtle flavour of quince could be lost in the strong brandy .
I am willing to be proved wrong and will give you an honest appraisal if you send me a sample ! :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 18:55 »
I can only comment to say that the cherry brandy I made is very smooth, and doesn't have that 'raw' taste. 

I did make some quince vodka a couple of years back and it was fabulous stuff.  :tongue2:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Mrs Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 19:15 »
I make a blackberry brandy which is nice and smooth too. I think the sugar content smooths  away the rough edges.

It also cure coughs,  colds, sore orifices and pimples on your chest.  ( That is the polite version) :wub: :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 19:35 »
 :lol:

Thank you  :D  Reassured now that quince brandy won't blow my head off   :)

It also cure coughs,  colds, sore orifices and pimples on your chest.  ( That is the polite version) :wub: :D

Well who knows the curative powers quince brandy will hold  :nowink:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 09:17 »
:lol:

Thank you  :D  Reassured now that quince brandy won't blow my head off   :)

Well who knows the curative powers quince brandy will hold  :nowink:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It has got to at least as good. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 12:59 »
Just an update to say I have strained and bottled both quince vodka and brandy today.  As usual, the advice on here was spot on.  After a quick taste test,I can recommend both  :D

Both are sipping liqueurs, with the cinnamon and cloves I added coming through as a nice spicy undernote to the sweet fruit flavour of the drinks.  As I said, I'm not a brandy fan, but the quince, sugar and spices have transformed a bottle of Trasco own brand brandy into something really special.  Got 2 nice gift bottles for pressies and plenty left for me  :D

Happy Christmas (hic)  :lol:

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 16:24 »
Just an update to say I have strained and bottled both quince vodka and brandy today.  As usual, the advice on here was spot on.  After a quick taste test,I can recommend both  :D

Both are sipping liqueurs, with the cinnamon and cloves I added coming through as a nice spicy undernote to the sweet fruit flavour of the drinks.  As I said, I'm not a brandy fan, but the quince, sugar and spices have transmogrified *a bottle of Trasco own brand brandy into something really special.  Got 2 nice gift bottles for pressies and plenty left for me  :D

Happy Christmas (hic)  :lol:

* Worthy of the word methinks ! ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 16:37 »
Agreed  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 19:13 »
There is always a sense of anticipation as that first tiny sip of the year's latest home made liqueurs, followed by a huge smile.

And, I must add, a sense of some relief too  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Brandy

Started by Sparkie on Homebrew

0 Replies
Last post January 24, 2008, 16:25
by Sparkie
xx
Cherry Brandy

Started by Auntiemogs on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 23:15
by Auntiemogs
xx
Marrow Brandy

Started by MoreWhisky on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post April 03, 2010, 12:58
by MoreWhisky
xx
Blackberries from Brandy

Started by shazlette on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2015, 20:27
by shazlette

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 29 queries.