1 x jostaberry
2 x blackcurrant
1 x redcurrant
4 x gooseberries, different varietals
3 x different varietals of raspberries x about 30 canes
3 blackberries
1 tayberry
1 loganberry
1 Stella cherry (bought as a young tree, been in place 3 ys)
1 Douce Provence pear (as above)
1 Cox apple (as above)
1 black fig
Lots of rhubarb crowns
Massive cardoon
Large Muscat grape vine (about 15 years old)

What, out of this lot, would you bother moving ? The new plot will be our permanent one so nothing will get moved again. We have the lease on our old allotment until the end of December to allow us to move the stuff when dormant.
Happy, hippy mama with a love of baking, gardening and cake decorating

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: What's worth moving ? Old to new allotment plot
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 17:17 »
I have to say that moving that amount of bushes / trees will leave a lot of holes in the ground (you need a decent rootball), and remove quite a lot of decent soil, which seems rather unfair to your successor.

Not convinced the grape will be happy moving at that age.

Not convinced about moving the raspberries either.

The others will partly depend on size and age - how big are the trees?

You also need to consider the soil type and aspect of the new plot.  I see from another post of yours that it is sloping and quite exposed.  The fig may not like that.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 17:19 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 17:29 »
We've only had the vine in place for about 2 years - it was sold to us by the garden centre at about 12 years old.

I'm not bothered about whether it's fair to my successor - the fruit represents a lot of money to replace. Every time we've taken on an allotment it's been an overgrown, bramble infested jungle with pretty much no plants and uncultivated for years. They will be getting a well kept lovely plot complete with very nice shed, huge fruit cage (large enough for two trees to sit comfortably within it) with raspberry supports in place, a greenhouse, a paved area, large raised beds already in place, paved pathways, several trees that we aren't moving, 6 rose bushes, a composting area and a huge mature strawberry bed with a mix of varieties and about 100 plants. So I think they are pretty lucky frankly.

The fig would be transplanted into our house garden so will be very happy there up against the kitchen wall (I hope)

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 18:04 »
I'd be inclined to pretty much take the lot - mostly depending on whether I enjoyed / plentiful the crops from those plants.
I moved 10 summer raspberries this time last year - they took a hit in terms of crops this year but look healthy now so should be good for next year. Depending on the size of the rhubarb crowns I'd perhaps divide them now and move half - an easy way to leave an additional friendly gift behind...

Cheers,
Balders

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 19:34 »
I believe that cane fruit is vulnerable to decline over time due to virus, and that we are recommended to replace with fresh stock every 5 years or so.

I'm quoting Percy Thrower here, who was around before most people on here were born!  So modern varieties may be less prone to virus.

Tom
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

3759allen

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 22:03 »
depending on how far away your new plot is compared to your existing one, but surely the holes you leave behind will need to be dug in the new plot. if the new tenants are that bothered then swap soil from the holes from the plants/ tree's.

i'd be inclined to take as many as possible, after all you've paid for them so they are yours. and mature fruit tree's would cost a fortune to replace, or take longer to get a crop to the same quantity.

as said if the rhubarb will split you can leave some behind. you may also be able to take the best raspberry canes for yourself and leave some behind. you may also be able to sell some of the crowns and canes on to pay for a few things for the new plot.

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 23:06 »
The canes aren't just any old raspberries - there is a row of goldens and two rows of really finely flavoured, heavy fruiting lates. I think we will probably leave the cherry, it didn't do well this year so I doubt moving it will help matters. The fig has never performed well so will probably prefer a new home.
The old plot won't be allocated until after we've left; there is a waiting list of nearly 300 in Eastbourne so as far as I'm concerned the new tenants will be lucky just to get a plot, let alone a full one that is ready to move into with very little work. To say nothing of already having stuff on it.

The things I'm most keen to move are the raspberries, the grape, the pear, fig & apple trees, the hinnamaki gooseberries and the jostaberry - basically the stuff that will be pricey to replace !

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 11:02 »
We have a rule on our site that soil may NOT be removed from a plot.

If you take them out in soil root balls please be sure to replace the same amount of new topsoil back in the holes rather than just levelling it off with the soil you leave behind.    It is gross selfishness to do otherwise.

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 11:05 »
I'd leave the lot. If you want to take everything with you, why move?  :D

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 11:27 »
It would be a dilemma on my old site too as there is also a rule about not removing soil and only bringing in screened topsoil. There is no rule about removing plants, bushes etc but two years ago growing trees was banned.
My new site has no such rules.

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 12:21 »
50 miles round trip to the old allotment isn't very convenient ! We moved house, hence moving plot.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 14:46 »
You're very lucky to get another plot so easily !

Nobbie

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 15:34 »
I'd take most of that, but you'll need a van or a few trips to transport it all as things like blackcurrants take up a lot of room. A big roll of clingfilm is usefull for holding the branched together and avoid losing to many buds.

I wouldn't worry about the holes, as it's a tiny fraction of the topsoil. Like you say, there getting a pretty good deal.

Ema

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 22:26 »
I would take everything!!

but realistically you'll struggle to move them and plant them. Prehaps a raspberry plant of each variety and maybe a few cuttings. A big rubarb crown unless your new plot has some. Not sure you'll get the grape out.

You'll only miss them next year

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 22:47 »
We waited 5 months. Makes up for the 4.5 years we waited for the last one !

xx
Moving on to new allotment

Started by Sprouts on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 30, 2011, 19:21
by archibtbm
xx
Moving allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 23, 2014, 09:23
by mumofstig
xx
Moving to a New Plot, what can I move?

Started by JulieP on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 13, 2012, 12:20
by JulieP
xx
Moving house,new veg plot.

Started by John Price on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 23:01
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.536 seconds with 38 queries.