Belling microwave question...

• 16 Replies

Growster...

Belling microwave question...
« on: October 28, 2013, 20:05 »
We inherited Mrs Growster's mum's microwave which we installed in the kitchen, as we knew it was better than ours.

It's a Belling CJS21, and has so many bells and whistles that we rather like it, except for the fact that the manual has vanished in the move, and I'm determined to be able to bake spuds in a quarter of the time it takes in a conventional oven! I can't find the manual on the net, because they want to offload all sorts of spam stuff, and our PC is (was) awash with junk and had a damn good clearout recently!

Could I - gulp - ask if anyone has any idea of the way to do this please? I've rescued an inch high grill tray, which will bring the spud up to about two or three inches from the grill, but as Mrs Growster is very particular about her baked spuds being very crispy on the outside, and fluffy on the inside, I'm in a bit of a quandary here...

Any tips would be most welcome, and also I'd be able to see across the kitchen if we haven't cleaned out the main oven recently, and all that smoke etc setting the alarms, and the dog off..;0)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Belling microwave question...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 20:11 »
I'm not a great fan of microwaved spuds, but I do make them sometimes.  What I do is to cook spud in microwave until cooked.  Jabbing fork tines in spud all over first to prevent explosions! LOL

Then rub a tiny bit of buttery over the skin with a little salt and blast in hot oven for about 5 mins or so.  It helps crisp the skin

However, a reasonably clean oven would stop the alarm going off!  LOL
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 20:13 by GrannieAnnie »

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 20:29 »
I'm not a great fan of microwaved spuds, but I do make them sometimes.  What I do is to cook spud in microwave until cooked.  Jabbing fork tines in spud all over first to prevent explosions! LOL

Then rub a tiny bit of buttery over the skin with a little salt and blast in hot oven for about 5 mins or so.  It helps crisp the skin

However, a reasonably clean oven would stop the alarm going off!  LOL

This is real technique Grannie, and as usual, you're on the plot - thank you!

It's going to be me who is doing the experiment, and your well-tried clues are just perfect for starters!

As spuds don't normally crisp up in a microwave, Mrs G is inclined to beat me over the head with a sharp implement if I get it wrong, and as she is ace at cooking, I tend to believe her, but having the oven on for an hour or so just makes me wonder if there could be light in the proper microwave oven, although there is a grill function in there somewhere, and a preset says 'potato' which may be a giveaway..;0)

I'll try your method, but don't watch the Southern news if you're squeamish..;0)

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 20:41 »
Our micro has a micro & oven function that uses microwaves & traditional oven,reduces the  time. R spuds are done in 15/20 mins, jackets in 10/15
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 20:52 »
Our micro has a micro & oven function that uses microwaves & traditional oven,reduces the  time. R spuds are done in 15/20 mins, jackets in 10/15

Snows, this is interesting!

We have this 'preset' which states 'potato'!

What I can't understand, is - er - so what!

Your ideas will definitely be put to the test - thank you!

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 21:23 »
We turn the dial to show a picture of a  broken line circle & broken lines above it,you can then alter the temp of the oven & then the wattage of the microwave

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 21:43 »
my little microwave oven is very basic.  It does have a button that says potato, but how does it know how big the potato is???  :lol: :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 07:03 »
I think I'll just have to bite the bullet, as it has a digital display, and a five second beeper at the end, which stops you taking something out and it explodes!

Looking again at all the presets it has, like pizza or bacon, it will be interesting to put a small potato in there and leave it for a quarter of an hour, and find it comes out as a roast chicken with five sausages and some roasted vegetables...

Well that's what they do isn't it?

madcat

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 08:08 »
Since I live with spam and filters and stuff, I thought I would look for a manual for you.  Well, Belling dont have it on their site and most of the other manual sites that I will touch with a barge pole don't or have the US version.  But you could call.  They say :

Understanding how it works will help you get the most out of your Belling. Search by model number or scroll down to find an instruction manual.
If you dont find the manual your are looking for call our product helpline on 0844 815 3746

You never know - they might send you one.  oh and the non premium rate number is  0151 432 7462
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 11:37 »
You won't believe this Madcat et al, but Mrs Growster has just found the manual...

...and it was where we keep all the stuff like that...

...I'd been there looking every time tooooo...

The only info it doesn't give is timing, so thanks to everyone here for your advice on this and we're using it this evening!

(But we've lost or spare shed keys now, so that's a new padlock wanted - bummox)!

madcat

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 17:38 »
 ::)  Look where you keep the keys - or your trouser/jacket pocket!!   :D

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 17:46 »
::)  Look where you keep the keys - or your trouser/jacket pocket!!   :D

I looked there, Madcat, about seventy-nine times, and every pocket in the house has been turned inside out too!

I think I'm losing the will to live at the moment, but after excessive trawling the net, and help from all you guys and gals, I think I'll experiment with the baked spud giving it 10 mins on full power on the Microwave switch, then rush round the kitchen in agony to cool the hand which will have been burned when I took it out, then I'll pop it back in under the grill switch and set it for 12 minutes and keep turning it with the other hand.

When both hands have been severely lacerated and burned, I'll remove the bandage which had become stuck in the door and also baked, and pour a large glass of red with my feet...;0)

The keys might well be in there as well, so I can kill two birds with one stone, but I'll have to kick it, as of course, both arms will be in slings..;0(

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 18:31 »
Glad it turned up,now for the keys :ohmy: You need to put a very large key ring on like they used to in hotels before they had electronic things.

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 19:13 »
Nope, didn't work, we had to chuck it under the oven grill to get anything like what we wanted!

I'll try for one on my own as Mrs G is particularly interested in getting it about right, and this it wasn't!

As for the keys, Snows, that's a good idea...

madcat

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 19:20 »
when l lose things / forget things or am generally dopey, I blame old age and alcohol abuse for killing my brain cells  .... 

:unsure:

what's your excuse?

:D

xx
microwave jam

Started by jack russell on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

26 Replies
Last post June 25, 2007, 15:01
by GrannieAnnie
xx
blanching in the microwave?

Started by strangerachael on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2020, 09:49
by New shoot
clip
Easy Microwave Jam

Started by Aunt Sally on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2020, 20:22
by Aunt Sally
xx
blanching in microwave

Started by jenw on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 14, 2011, 18:23
by jenw

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 36 queries.