Compost and poop question

• 36 Replies

Totty

Re: Compost and poop question
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 16:54 »
But soil in great condition will give much better results, even if the nutrient values are lower, than say, a heavy, poorly drained area of clay ground with high nutrient levels.

Totty

crh75

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 16:57 »
It is the organic matter that makes the soil hold the water and nutrients ready for the plant when it needs them. 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 18:10 »
But soil in great condition will give much better results, even if the nutrient values are lower, than say, a heavy, poorly drained area of clay ground with high nutrient levels.

Totty

Absolutely, the lecturer was singing the praises and benefits of adding organic matter to the soil.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 18:54 »
The onions will grow better in soil that is in better condition :)

I'm glad I got summat right then  ::)

Kirpi

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 14:51 »
no nutrients in compost?
pulltheotherone!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 15:11 »
No one said no nutrients. Just not as much as many think there is.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kirpi

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 15:22 »
Thanks DD.

I think I get away with it because of the high volume of compost I put on top of the beds which then become incorporated into the soil by worms. I don't use manure or shop bought nutrients so I have to presume the plants I am growing are getting their nutrients from compost, nettle tea and comfrey liquor.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 17:21 by Kirpi »

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 20:35 »
I'm very relieved that you grow the way you do, kirpi.  I thought I was the only one on here who didn't use chicken pellets or manure....

As you imply, it depends on how much you apply of compost as to whether its fertilizer value is significant.  I don't see my applications as in any way insufficient for my crops' fertilizer needs.  I still get crops too - without nettle and comfrey supplements, so by comparison with me you might be spoiling yours!

Best wishes

Tom
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

Kirpi

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 23:07 »
I seem to be able to grow a bed of stinging nettles for nutrient tea without anyone complaining about my weeds! Also a large bed especially or Comfrey. Most folks think I'm eccentric but leave me to it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 23:12 by Kirpi »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 11:05 »
I've been giving Excel and my poor old brain cells a bit of a work out trying to figure out what the commonly available figures for the NPK analysis of manure mean in the real world - it's complicated by the fact that manure contains something like 70% water whereas NPK values relate to the percentages by weight of the dry product.  :wacko:

By my calculations a 4" layer of manure potentially supplies about the same amounts of NPK as using Growmore at 31/2 oz. per square yard, which is at the lower end of the usual recommended dosage rate for that.

A 4" layer is quite a lot (around 155lb per square yard :ohmy:) but as we all seem to agree the soil conditioning benefits are at least as important as the nutrient content, and soils vary greatly in their natural fertility and how well they hold on to nutrients - I have to supplement compost with other fertilisers on my sandy soil or yields are very poor.

Not wishing to be controversial, ::) but I have also found THIS article about the possible losses of some of the nitrogen if the manure is not dug in (see "Manure Handling.") :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

nannytroll

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 11:58 »
My head is spinning after reading that JG !!!
I follow the usual 4 year rotation, and manure the spud plot , plus runner beans and squashes very heavily each year. Every thing else gets compost and leave mould mulches as available. I mix equine, poultry and goat muck, with wood ash chucked in for good measure. I'm not sure if there would be any advantage to separating the heaps; perhaps too much effort for limited benefits. ???

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 12:46 »
Your head is supposed to spin after reading JayG's posts, nannytroll.  It's what JayG does best....

Dear Maker of Spinning Heads, thank you for researching this question and for your calculations and conclusions.  They're not entirely consistent with my own findings.  I apply only a 2" layer, to a third of the plot, each year, and have done so for the last 20, and end up with triffids (sometimes!)....

There's clearly some room for debate here!  As we jockey for supremacy, may the best man, or woman, win!

Best wishes

Tom

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 13:56 »
Think I'll pass on "jockeying for supremacy" - last time I was on board a horse was rather a long time ago on Hythe promenade, and I was a supremely nervous jockey even though we were only moving at walking pace!  :ohmy:

I was merely trying to add a bit of science and a few facts and figures to the discussion - I'd like to blame Gurgle for my having to find out the answer to a question once it pops into my mind, but the truth is I've always been like it!   :wub:

Kirpi

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 20:09 »
The water content of (especially these past two years) manure has been one of the main reasons why I opted not to use it and go in for mass production of plant based compost and the bags of rabbit poo and bedding I get from a local rabbit breeder/kenneler.

I would be interested to see a NPK comparison of homegrown compost versus animal manure by volume. Considering the 70% water component of animal manures, I wouldn't be surprised if vegetable compost was actually higher in nutrients across the board.

edit: also less messy in the car!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 20:10 by Kirpi »

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 22:20 »
We get free manure delivered by the tractor load and as I have no lawn I have very little stuff to compost few beetroot leaves ect. On the RHS course we were continually reminded of the benifits of bulky organic matter in any shape or form. I'm experimenting with no dig beds so covering the soil with as much as possible.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

xx
strawberry question and compost/manure question.

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 00:06
by chili
xx
Compost question

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 10:35
by compostqueen
xx
compost Question ?

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2019, 15:03
by Growster...
xx
Compost question

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 31, 2011, 21:34
by SkipRat

Page created in 0.633 seconds with 30 queries.