storm!!

• 31 Replies

Helenaj

Re: storm!!
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 08:41 »
I'm dreading it - we are in South Wales and we are going to get the brunt of it along with the South. Where my hens are is in woodland and we spent most of yesterday cutting regen Ash and Black Alder down that even looked slightly suspect. The coop is next to a massive Copper Beech but my husband (he's an arborist) says it is solid and the spread low enough not to be affected too much by the weather.

Fingers crossed all stays well :unsure:

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 17:23 »
We have tied rope round solway smart house and staked to ground to add bit more 'weight' to house. Hope the 3 girlies already roosting in tree stay safe, hold tight and tree stays up. FINGERS CROSSED!
loads tall trees around.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 18:12 »
Well I think I have suffered the first damage from the storm even before it has arrived!!!    :wub:  I was clearing things out of the way that were likely to blow over and managed to bump the garden chairs in to the garage wall which sent me sideways.   ::)  Cut and bruised but luckily not in view of anyone.   :blush:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joolz68

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 23:07 »
Well I think I have suffered the first damage from the storm even before it has arrived!!!    :wub:  I was clearing things out of the way that were likely to blow over and managed to bump the garden chairs in to the garage wall which sent me sideways.   ::)  Cut and bruised but luckily not in view of anyone.   :blush:
Hope your not too sore,our gardens a slippery nightmare so i know im going to have an accident soon but i will be hoping everyones sees me and runs to help  :lol:
All seems quiet storm wise in wales so a friend tells me so i think the storm is running late,i hope everyone and their chucks dont have too much distruption..be safe xx

ANHBUC

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 23:11 »
I think my birds know there is a storm coming, especially my quail as they were trying to fly today and seemed quite spooked.

Our garden sounds like yours joolz, do be careful especially if you have any wood, we have some railway sleepers and they can be a nightmare in the wet weather.   ;)

mrs chook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 07:44 »
chooks have survived their first major storm. weighted the henhouse down & the girls are ok! hope your girls are okay too!!
Keep calm & talk to chickens :)

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 07:53 »
My little gals waiting for me on their perch this morning in the living room.  Glad they did in a room with a plain cream carpet!

Sorry to hear about your mishap ANHBC (can naver remember how to spell that) xxxxxxxx
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

Springlands

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 10:26 »
Hi Nerdle - I always remember by repeating what it stands for. Aint Nobody Here But Us Chickens.  :lol:

Sassy

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 10:28 »

How is your land holding up with all the wet weather Sassy?

Thankyou for asking ANBHUC. No problems so far. we were on flood alert last week but that happens regularly. After the flooding last year (first time in living memory (87 years) in our exact location) the Environment agency have realised, finally, that the flood alert for our area is not fit for purpose and are looking at it - it is over a year now though. Although we are on clay our flooding was caused by a breach in the flood bank although the bank did overtop eventually anyway, but less water may have got through without the breach! I am not replacing my birds until they have repaired the breach, hopefully by Spring 2014!

How are you southerners getting on? It doesn't look as though it has been ideal for you? Hope everyones fine anyway :)

Edit to take text out of quote
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 14:48 by ANHBUC »
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

pepsi100

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2013, 12:53 »
Well, it was a bit of an anticlimax where I was, just had 2 buckets blown arounf in the garden and my jamine bush blown away from the fence

But the chooks arent hapy with the mud now, I cant even dig it over for them, its too wet and sticky  >:(

Just need a couple of dry days now (if the wind keeps up that will help dry it out though
It's all about the journey, not the destination

ANHBUC

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 14:51 »
I'm glad that you have not had any further flooding since last year Sassy, I hope they fix the flood defences soon so you can get some birds again.

I hope everyone in the affected areas are alright.   :)

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 15:48 »
What storm it was quiet as a mouse here last night and i strapped the roof lid down to stop it blowing open.The only that was blown about where some leaves of the conker trees.
Pull up a perch!!

Helenaj

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 16:38 »
I think my birds know there is a storm coming, especially my quail as they were trying to fly today and seemed quite spooked.

Our garden sounds like yours joolz, do be careful especially if you have any wood, we have some railway sleepers and they can be a nightmare in the wet weather.   ;)

ANHBUC, it's strange you should say that - mine are usually in their coop by the time I go to put them to bed but last night they would not go in. anyway, all survived safe and sound! Phew!!!!

sorry to hear about your accident = sounded painful!

ANHBUC

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 19:16 »
It must be in their instinct to find somewhere they think is safe.

I'm just a little sore but no major damage apart from a bit of dented pride.   ::)

Sassy

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2013, 09:19 »
It must be in their instinct to find somewhere they think is safe.

I'm just a little sore but no major damage apart from a bit of dented pride.   ::)

which just goes to show that sometimes the fall comes before the pride! Sorry but I couldn't resist. Seriously though, hope you're ok. :)

xx
Storm & Free Range

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 06, 2014, 08:39
by Sassy

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 36 queries.