6X Soluble?

• 7 Replies

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
6X Soluble?
« on: October 23, 2013, 23:02 »
Have used Growmore in the past so never used 6X but when I read the label I saw that it's soluble.  So it's quick-release, and not long-lasting, right?

But so's Growmore.  And Growmore's NPK is a bit higher.  So why use 6X?  Is it solely because it's organic?  I can't see the organic advantage if it's soluble/quick-release.

Tom
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: 6X Soluble?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 08:56 »
All fertilisers are soluble.  They would not be taken up by the plant if they were not.  Some formulations just release the nutrients faster than others.

There are a lot of chickens in this country so, therefore, a lot of chicken "by product" to dispose of.  Much better to sell it as fertiliser than to waste it by land fill or incineration.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 09:04 »
It's only soluble in the same way that you can make a liquid feed from a bag of manure/comfrey, by dumping it in a barrel of water and leaving it to degrade for a few weeks before using.
All the plant food in fertilisers/manures are soluble, over time, or the plants would never be able to use them; most organic feeds are slower release than chemical ones like Growmore.

Being an organic product 6X is better for soil conditioning, helping to form humus - it feeds the soil rather than just feeding the plants.

snap Aunty  :D

madcat

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 09:30 »
We arent talking wadsworth 6X then?   :blink:

:D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 10:28 »
The NPK analysis of 6X is very similar to dried pelleted chicken manure, which is not that surprising given its origins, although it is apparently odourless which many users of PCM may find a distinct advantage! I've also seen a reference to it being from "battery-free" chickens, although not on the 6X website.  :unsure:

Agree with the others - like other organic fertilisers it is more slow release because it has to be broken down by soil organisms to release its nutrients.

At the suggested very low application rates to me it has to be regarded as more of a fertiliser than a soil improver - I think it's down to the individual to work out whether it represents the best choice and value for money for their requirements.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 11:42 »
although it is apparently odourless which many users of PCM may find a distinct advantage!

Take it from me - once it gets damp, it is certainly not odourless  ::)
At the suggested very low application rates to me it has to be regarded as more of a fertiliser than a soil improver
Agreed but he soil is better with any help it gets, if you're not adding large quantities of manure or compost  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 11:59 »

although it is apparently odourless which many users of PCM may find a distinct advantage!
Take it from me - once it gets damp, it is certainly not odourless  ::)

Thought that was too good to be true, although that is a claim they do make in their online "brochure" (only for the pelleted form though.)

At the suggested very low application rates to me it has to be regarded as more of a fertiliser than a soil improver
Agreed but he soil is better with any help it gets, if you're not adding large quantities of manure or compost  ;)

Any organic matter is better than nothing but the coverage (up to) for an 8kg bag is 90 sq. metres (110 sq. yards) which in old money is about 21/2 ounces to the square yard - not much!

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 13:53 »
When we make a  liquid feed, we just chuck a few handfuls in a water drum, and use it with a watering can (no rose).

It breaks down into such a fine mixture, that you can pour it even when it gets a bit sludgy at the bottom of the drum!

Great stuff, and wonderful for leeks etc!

xx
Soluble tomato food

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 11:23
by sclarke624
xx
sulphate of iron (soluble

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2023, 11:59
by AlaninCarlisle

Page created in 0.522 seconds with 38 queries.