Wood Preserver...

• 5 Replies

Prod

Wood Preserver...
« on: October 23, 2013, 19:03 »
Hope this is the right place to post this (sorry if it isnt)    I converted a 6x4 shed into a coop and attached a former rabbit hutch to the side to provide nest boxes.  The shed was only about 6mths when i bought it and it is shiplap (the type B&Q sell for £149)   Anyway  I used a standard fence stain on it as one side was brand new and the other sunfade. It doesnt let water in per se but the wood does get soaked.  Can anyone recommend a good water proof stain?  I have heard 'Ducks Back' is good   but I would rather take a recommendation before I buy  Thanks in advance.

Sassy

Re: Wood Preserver...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 09:34 »
I'm sure Ducksback is an excellent preserver for wood but when I looked at it it was not suitable for use with chooks. I use Cuprinol whose tins used to advise it was ok to use for birds, however, when I last looked there was no recommendation. I do still use Cuprinol but make sure I do it on a day when it will dry quickly and do it first thing to allow an airing and early in the morning midsummer to allow a long air before they need to use it. :)

Just hope I'm right!  :ohmy:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

rufty

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 10:55 »
I used the ducks back for ours because it claimed to be pet safe.
http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/5_year_ducksback.jsp#top
But I also applied it before the chucks turned up so even if it hadn't have been okay it had a week to dry so no chance of harm.

It's quite good, but I've found that it seems to wear off quite easily. Since it seems to be a wax product that sits on the wood rather than permeating the wood itself. e.g. the roost bars and the door hatch were down to bare wood in a matter of weeks.
I also found that it doesn't stand up great to wild bird poo that ends up being on the roof. Again it seems to be because the wax just sits there.

So I'd love to know any alternatives, but it does seem to do the job.

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 15:42 »
I use ducks back on my coop and its fine. i paint it on a nice day and dries really quick ;)
Pull up a perch!!

ghost61

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 15:55 »
Cuprinol's helpline is very good, and ducks back is fine for poultry.

Prod

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 17:42 »
Thanks for the replies  I called in at Homebase on sat just on spec.  They had 15% of everything plus they were selling odds n sods.  I picked up 2 5 ltre tins of Cuprinol in the clearance sale for £15  & then got 15% off at the till!!!  Its not a bad colour either, harvest brown I think,,,,, :wacko:

xx
what wood preserver

Started by binner on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 22:59
by Yorkie
xx
Best wood preserver to use for coop

Started by lucyeff on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2007, 09:54
by lucyeff
xx
soft wood chip or hard wood chip

Started by bee on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 16:01
by hillfooter
xx
Wood ash.

Started by RubyRed on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 20, 2018, 15:52
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 36 queries.