Garden Offered

• 9 Replies

easyonthebrain

Garden Offered
« on: October 23, 2013, 11:54 »
I have my name down for an Allotment in my area albeit there are 50 names on the list in front of me, so not holding breath. One of my friends has offered me the full use of their garden area probably 6 metres by bout 12 metres. I am wary of taking up the offer as he can be slightly volatile due to certain difficulties if problems arise, access, withdrawal of permission and possibly lose friendship that I wouldn't want to happen) through taking up this offer. Has anyone had a similar experience or can offer advice

Springlands

Re: Garden Offered
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 12:05 »
If you can come to some arrangement and you are convinced that the offer would not be withdrawn then it could be beneficial to both parties. But you need to think carefully about this offer - how would you feel if you put in all of the hard work and then the offer was withdrawn especially if your friend is as volatile as you suggest. In the end only you know how your friend is going to act in any given circumstances.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 12:21 »
That's a lovely offer. Personally, even if they were a really good friend, I'd get something down in writing that sets out the boundaries, how long this will go on for, explores what happens if circumstances change/things go wrong and makes both you and your friend think about what you each want to get out of it.

Both Adopt-a-Garden and LandShare have template agreements you can download. There's also a lot of information about garden shares out there on Gurgle. This place is a few miles down the road from you and might be able to offer some phone advice: http://www.edinburghgardenpartners.org.uk/

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 14:10 »
If the person can be volatile as you say, then it's just not worth the risk. Putting it in writing won't help as if they get fed up with you being in their garden then it doesn't matter what is written down. It seems simple enough to let someone use your garden, but it's still an invasion of privacy and although they may not realise it now, it may well become an issue once you start appearing in their garden on a regular basis.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 14:16 »
Have to agree with Nobbie on this.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 14:44 »
I'm afraid I also agree with Nobby. It's not worth the risk of falling out with a friend.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 15:18 »
Me too  :(

It would be a different matter if they were a very agreeable type of person.

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 15:40 »
Did this a number of years back.      No problem with the initial/hard work in preparing the ground or with the planting/seed raising but when it came to harvest I was remionded that it was actually his garden.     Lifted everything I could including all the spuds and left never went back.     Would you believe it the following year I was asked when I was coming back as the garden needed dug over and the weeds removed!
Do you really need al that lettuce/

easyonthebrain

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 16:47 »
Thanks to everyone for the most helpful of replies and they have made my mind up. I think that however appealing the idea is just now, if I was down everyday or back and forwards he may well become agitated about it. The guy is great most of the time but on occasions he does become slightly unbalanced (trying to be nice) and a small problem may become a huge one in his mind. The next step is letting him down lightly haha. Ah well, upwards and onwards. Thanks for all your help on this one.
Best regards

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 21:06 »
Before I got my allotment a few years ago I was in 2 garden shares through a local organisation here in town called Food4Macc.  We had agreement forms signed and I gave the garden owner 10% of the veg I grew. Worked like a dream with no hassles at all. See their website and there is an agreement form on the bottom of the page.

http://www.maccinfo.com/Food4Macc/Share.html
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

xx
I've been offered, these

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 07, 2023, 00:41
by pepsi100
xx
I've been offered a greenhouse........but how do I get it!

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 13, 2008, 17:19
by Kagganz
xx
I've been offered an allotment at last BUT....

Started by JaK on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post November 14, 2011, 06:20
by Growster...
xx
Plot offered through landshare

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 18:13
by rhysdad

Page created in 0.744 seconds with 31 queries.