runner beans and trenches

• 10 Replies

Anton

runner beans and trenches
« on: October 22, 2013, 14:18 »
Dear Fellow Gardeners,

Last year I dug a trench to prepare for my runner beans. I chucked all the waste, chopped thinly, from my garden and it worked well, apart from my having dug the trench too deep, as I had a great crop this year. Having read that you can leave the stakes in the same place year after year, I was wondering how I could square that with a trench, so to speak. Should I remove some earth from the space created inside the stakes and around my stakes , chucking all my waste ininto the hollow thus created?

Anton

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: runner beans and trenches
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 14:26 »
Until it rusts through :ohmy:, my Munty frame is a permanent structure for growing beans - I re-dig the trench every year and chuck the soil a few feet beyond the frame, fill with compostables, and refill with the soil nearest to the trench, leaving it mounded up to allow for the contents settling as it rots down.

As far as I'm concerned that's nearly as good as rotating the crop, which many people don't believe needs rotating anyway.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Anton

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 15:25 »
Thanks for your reply. How deep would you dig your trench?

Anton

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 15:39 »
About 18"/half a metre (or perhaps a little more because my soil is very easy to dig!)

Runner beans aren't particularly deep rooted so the depth is not critical - it's the retention of soil moisture that they will appreciate.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 15:43 »
We do as Jay does, and there are also several inches of green lawn mowings chucked on every year, and you'd be surprised at how much that helps!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 15:44 »
Does leaving the trench open allow the sub-soil to become colders? (Although perhaps that is moot by the time that Runners would be planted?)

perhaps the question should be that a dry spell March-May could dry out the sub-soil significantly?

I left trenches open ready for planting spuds the year of the hosepipe ban when we had an incredibly dry Spring, and once planted they spuds didn't come up until we had significant rain (from memory that was the day that the hosepipe ban was announced!)

Ivor Backache

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 11:33 »
Runner beans aren't particularly deep rooted so the depth is not critical - it's the retention of soil moisture that they will appreciate.

.....and for that reason I always put newspaper in the bottom of the trench. I don't crumple it, just lay a folded newspaper or two along the whole length and put the compost material on top.

Anton

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 14:12 »
Thanks for all your tips.

Anton

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 16:42 »
Having just dug my trench today (and put the newspaper in  ;) but not so deep as JayG!), I realised that won't the newspaper have rotted by the spring and so won't hang onto moisture so much? 

This year I laid my trench (which worked really well) in the spring, so wasn't an issue....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 17:21 »
It'll all be gone if you fill it too early  ;)

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 18:13 »
It'll all be gone if you fill it too early  ;)
Exactly.  I'll leave it now until early spring to fill, My lot can produce enough compost to fill a trench in 2 weeks anyway  ::)   but I have to say it was a joy digging this afternoon in the sunshine.

xx
Trenches for Beans

Started by beatle2078 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 14:41
by mumofstig
xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael

Page created in 1.288 seconds with 38 queries.