Jalapeņo.

• 7 Replies

red tomato

Jalapeņo.
« on: October 19, 2013, 20:56 »
Hi all, I'm thinking of growing jallapino peppers. Has anyone tried growing them, If so did you have any success and were they hot or mild. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 21:47 by Kate and her Ducks »

Kate and her Ducks

Re: jallapino
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 21:08 »
I have always done well with jalapeņo chillies. They are nice and meaty and tend to be at the mild to moderate end of the range. great for cooking with and I pickle loads as the OH loves them this way for having on pizzas etc. or just out of the jar!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

red tomato

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 21:42 »
Thanks Kate. Just what i wanted to hear. Now going to send of for seeds.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 21:46 »
Just going to modify the spelling in your title so the topic can be found on searches. ;)

3759allen

Re: Jalapeņo.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 23:02 »
i grew a few jalapeno's this year.

they were a lot more fleshy (if that makes sense) and not as long and thin as i thought. good flavour from them and milder than i thought.

i'll be growing again as you get a lot of flavour with over loading with heat.

mine did get attacked by very large caterpillar's by the end of the season, so may be worth considering netting them if you get the problem too.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 23:36 »
Mine have been brilliant - about 20 from each so far. They taste beautiful - moderately hot, but with proper flavour as well as heat. Am overwintering mine to have an early start next year.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 20:04 »
I grew some last year and although I planted a few seeds I only ended up with one plant, however, it ended up growing in my greenhouse in a 12" pot and grew to about 3 feet high and the same across.
They ended up a lovely dark green colour which were a fairly hot pepper measuring approx 3" long and just over 1" at the shoulder.
I didnt count how many I got off the plant but I did manage to get 4 large jars full of sliced and pickled Jalapeno's.... very tasty too!  :)
This year though I couldn't grow them to save my life  :(

red tomato

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 20:49 »
Just going to modify the spelling in your title so the topic can be found on searches. ;)
:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     :ohmy:

Page created in 2.003 seconds with 36 queries.