Labelling plants

• 22 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Re: Labelling plants
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 18:51 »
Nikkithefoot - do you mean you print on paper? and that lasts? 

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 19:44 »
Its printed on the roll of paper that comes with it and yes both the label stays adhered and the ink isn't at all faded.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 13:53 »
I've considered the Brother P-Touch and Dymo LetraTAG label printers. However, I haven't been able to find any comparison of the tapes that are used in each.  It is clear (from marketing blurb) that the tape used in the Brother P-Touch is laminated, and will stick forever, is water, fade and chemical resistant - clearly perfect for the job.  I can't find anything that explains whether the Dymo tape is as good ...

However, the Dymo tape is quite a bit cheaper and it appears that the Brother leaves (i.e. "wastes") about 1/2" either end of each label (if you only print labels one-by-one, which for me would normally be the case) which the Dymo does not, so the Brother could in effect waste 20% of the tape.

Brother looks like it costs around 25p a label (which ain't cheap, lets face it!) and Dymo around 16p.  Handsets are variously discounted around the marketplace, so its really the cost of consumables, rather like Razors and Razor-blades :), that the purchasing decision hinges on.

If anyone has any experience of both of them I'd love to hear a comparison please.

RichardA

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 14:10 »
I know I have told this story before. Working in heavy construction and working away a lot plus rare occurance of days off and a fine Easter weekend I got stuck into my garden and eventually sowed lots of short rows of stuff like salad stuff, spinach and also seed rows for cabbage, brussels, leeks, etc to plant out later.
I labelled them all, about 40 rows in all but no back up notes. I went back to work and in the meantime my youngest daughter (then about 5 now she is 30) played Postman Pat with all the labels and a row of cold frames - delivering the little white "letters" with writing on in each little "house".
I learnt a lot about newly emerging leaf shapes that year.
Back up notes/diary is a must. Labels fade on trees and shrubs as well so I have a master map of the garden with variety names for all fruit trees, bushes etc as well as routes of cables and any obstructions in the ground I have come across but can't remove.
Another quick tip - if you have broadly similiar stuff use different pots so chillis might be in square pots and capsicums in round ones in the propogator.
R

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 14:18 »
 I use lolly sticks for the seedling pots with a fine permanent marker, and this birthday I was given some snazzy black markers and a white pen. It does look very good, and hasn't washed off yet...

I might start writing on the little pots with the white pen - it scours off easily.

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 15:47 »
I cut a four pint milk bottle into 2.5 inch long by .5 inch wide strips, make a point at one end, and use a permanent marker., They cost pennies each year (that's for the pen, and if I'm really feeling the pinch, I use them again the following year...

You can get about forty good ones from each bottle!

It's the sort of pastime to while away the long dark winter months, and the evenings just fly by..;0)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 18:54 »
I've considered the Brother P-Touch and Dymo LetraTAG label printers. However, I haven't been able to find any comparison of the tapes that are used in each.  It is clear (from marketing blurb) that the tape used in the Brother P-Touch is laminated, and will stick forever, is water, fade and chemical resistant - clearly perfect for the job.  I can't find anything that explains whether the Dymo tape is as good ...

However, the Dymo tape is quite a bit cheaper and it appears that the Brother leaves (i.e. "wastes") about 1/2" either end of each label (if you only print labels one-by-one, which for me would normally be the case) which the Dymo does not, so the Brother could in effect waste 20% of the tape.

Brother looks like it costs around 25p a label (which ain't cheap, lets face it!) and Dymo around 16p.  Handsets are variously discounted around the marketplace, so its really the cost of consumables, rather like Razors and Razor-blades :) , that the purchasing decision hinges on.

If anyone has any experience of both of them I'd love to hear a comparison please.
I've got an old Dymo printer and the tape is quite rugged, but I have never tried it outside in all weathers.  It certainly is hard to wash off the various storage jars I've used it on.  I have never thought of using it in the garden.

Our allotments have a little shop and we found that the permanent marker faded but was okay, pencil and felt tip washed off quickly, and yes, people put them back in the wrong place >:( I will have to try the dymo.  Thanks for that.
Anne

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 19:10 »
I have lots of different coloured labels and I put all of one colour into the pots with the same type of seeds (I do it mostly to show different varieties of tomatoes) and I just then keep a note of which coloured label is which type.  It should work for other vegetables that look similar when the seed leaves appear e.g. different types of brassicas.

xx
labelling plants

Started by crackedflowerpots on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 21, 2008, 20:00
by Bombers
xx
Labelling your potatoes

Started by diggerjoe on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 19:57
by agapanthus
xx
How do I tell the difference between sprout plants from cabbage plants

Started by sushi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2012, 20:47
by sushi
xx
Companion plants for Asparagus plants

Started by Mbmyco2 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 17, 2015, 08:03
by Kristen

Page created in 0.482 seconds with 36 queries.