Marans or Barred/Plymouth Rock??

• 5 Replies

cbv8

Marans or Barred/Plymouth Rock??
« on: October 17, 2013, 21:27 »
Hi All,
I have just swapped my Light Sussex for another Cuckoo Maran to go with my other CMs and Copper Star due to my Sussex becoming nasty see me prevoius posts  :) BUT after doing some searches on CMs i am now in doubt that my Marans are actually Marans and not Plymoth/Barred Rocks as they lay pale cream eggs not chestnut brown ones :unsure: I have enclosed a pic of my original Marans i will take some more tomorrow my hens have different coloured beaks ie white and yellow  :unsure: :unsure: as always any help or advice very much appreciated  ;)
ill 005.jpg
ill 003.jpg
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 21:29 by cbv8 »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Marans or Barred/Plymouth Rock??
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 23:23 »
The barring does not look clear enough for BPR.  It could be that they are not pure breed which would give you a lighter egg.   :)

The first picture is of some pure breed BPR bantams, male on the left and 2 females on the right.  The second picture is of my Broody Snowy with some cross breed BPR bantams, four are barred and two are black.
Barred Plymouth Rock bantam chicks 014 (2000 x 1500).jpg
Barred Plymouth Rock cross chicks 004 (2000 x 1500).jpg
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 08:05 »
not all cuckoo marans will lay the real dark brown egg - it depends on their breed lines. However they shouldn't be pale coloured. You may have coucou hens which are a cuckoo marans hybrid - and these can lay pale eggs. Sadly because the cuckoo and coucou are pronounced very similar it is easy to get misled.
Staffies are softer than you think.

cbv8

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 12:23 »
Thanks for the replies i have added some more pics and my new addition which is anyones gues what breed that is also she is scared to come out the coop as the others keep attacking her she comes out when i'm in the run then scurries back in after a drink and feed  ::)
barred maran 001.jpg
barred maran 010.jpg

helens-hens

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 13:55 »
I would say the hens in the first 2 photos aren't Plymouth's - I have 1 and her comb is smaller and also she doesn't hold her tail quite as high and I think mine is a fairly typical example of the breed. The eggs though do sound very similar - light, creamy / white in colour.
Helen

cbv8

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 17:09 »
I would say the hens in the first 2 photos aren't Plymouth's - I have 1 and her comb is smaller and also she doesn't hold her tail quite as high and I think mine is a fairly typical example of the breed. The eggs though do sound very similar - light, creamy / white in colour.
Thanks Helen  ;)

xx
Could I have a Barred Plymouth Rock?

Started by Chookie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 11:45
by Chookie
xx
hen or cockerel plymouth barred rock

Started by katanadan on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 19:01
by katanadan
xx
Plymouth Rock

Started by cheshirecat on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 13:23
by grumpydad
xx
Barred Rock Cockerel Free to good home 14 wks old Stockport

Started by dervishdog on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 22, 2008, 15:19
by dervishdog

Page created in 0.436 seconds with 37 queries.