Winter Care of Jerusalem Artichokes for Harvesting Next Year?

• 6 Replies

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
Hi

I have grown Jerusalem Artichokes for the first time this year and plan to dig them up after the first frosts as and when we need to.

My question is, I plan to pop some of my harvest back into the ground to harvest next year so do I need to fleece cover the ones I replant?

There is loads of aged manure in the patch I want to put them but I think they may need fleeced...?
herbiegrowsbananas

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Winter Care of Jerusalem Artichokes for Harvesting Next Year?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 18:53 »
My next-years-crop comes from the ones I fail to harvest this year.  Not recommending that per se, but you might not need as much care and attention as you are planning.  As you harvest replant some good ones as you go?  Unless mice eat them, or they rot from extreme wet I think your problem will be getting rid of them, not trying to keep them!

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 19:04 »
I'm with Kristen on this. I originally had 6 JA's which I planted several years ago. I have never had to replant. They do seem to get deeper and deeper with each passing year though. They are the one crop you can't use in a rotation otherwise every where would be contaminated with them.

If you want to dig them to keep for later you need to bury them in a spare patch, but beware you get them all out. They don't store once dug, but will restart growing come spring if you leave them.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 19:20 »
I think your problem will be getting rid of them, not trying to keep them!

Lol, this is what I'm hoping for  :) I am trying to make my plot as perennial as possible  :) :)

Totty

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 22:23 »
I would say it's definitely worth clearing and replanting with the best tubers you dig up late winter/early spring.
Ideally save tubers the size of a golf ball that are relatively smooth skinned.
By clearing and replanting each year, tuber size is better and they are easier to dig up. As mentioned before, they will get deeper and deeper year on year which makes them annoyingly invasive and difficult to control.

Totty

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 23:03 »
Taste is very personal Herbie, but mt suggestion is eradicate them all now. If you have tasted them before and like them then fine, ignore me. If not, then try them now, before prolonging the pain.

For those who love f**ty chokes please excuse my negative attitude.

Paddy
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 13:30 »
Paddy, I love them, that sweet nutty taste is amazing and we have spent a fortune on them from Waitrose and the likes in previous years, the whole family adore them, plus we don't fart much after them either lol  :lol: :lol:

xx
Jerusalem artichokes

Started by shaun on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post October 28, 2007, 14:38
by woodsmoke
xx
Jerusalem Artichokes

Started by USC on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 24, 2010, 20:45
by Alec_Macpherson
xx
Jerusalem Artichokes

Started by rutters on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 12, 2007, 00:10
by drdave
xx
Jerusalem artichokes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post May 12, 2018, 20:02
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 36 queries.