Mr Foxy Loxy

• 6 Replies

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
Mr Foxy Loxy
« on: October 14, 2013, 09:09 »
He's back patrolling our lane again and winter is on its way. I have a live trap. What is the best way to despatch the blighter once I've caught  him? I don't have a gun, but I am happy to get an airrifle if that would be strong enough.

I lost too many birds last winter to be soft hearted.
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Mr Foxy Loxy
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 14:41 »
If you get rid of this fox another will take it's area over very quickly !

Making your hens secure, electric fencing etc is much more effective.

If you've got problems with foxes then I'd suggest local council or local pest control company. I would avoid DIY solutions as you would lay yourself open to prosecution on the grounds of animal cruelty.

snow white

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 15:26 »
I don't understand this "kill one fox and another takes its place".  There are only a certain number of foxes and if you start killing them surely the number reduces?  Eventually you would control the local population.   I know you have to fox    proof everything to the nth degree, which I do, but predator control surely is important too?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 16:43 »
http://www.ypte.org.uk/animal/fox-red-/122
Territory

A dog and vixen and their cubs; group members also include between one and four other foxes, males and females, perhaps from the litter born the previous year. Although foxes live in a family group, they spend much of their time alone. A fox's range varies according to its habitat; the home range of an urban fox covers between 25 and 50 hectares (1 hectare = 2 football pitches) whereas a country fox may wander over 2,000 or more hectares.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_fox#Social_and_territorial_behaviour
Red foxes live in family groups sharing a joint territory. In favourable habitats and/or areas with low hunting pressure, subordinate foxes may be present in a range. Subordinate foxes may number 1 or 2, sometimes up to 8 in one territory.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 22:59 »
Totally agree with Aunt Sally.  It only natural to be angry about losing hens but killing that fox won't protect them.  Proper fox proofing will.
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

barley

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 19:57 »
fox proof run is essential to being a responsible chicken keeper

it only natural  for the fox to kill being a predatory animal  :(

the best way to fox proof is a lidded run / enclosure and wire underneath the edges of the run as the most common way for Mr fox to gain access is by digging underneath the edges

as the others say you will never eliminate foxes totally and there will always be another one again in the future to replace the dispatched one

it is your responsibility  to keep your chooks safe from all predators including mink , buzzards and rats

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 21:29 »
Arrange with a local farmer to shoot it for you once you have trapped it.

xx
Stopping Mr Foxy

Started by rugbymad40 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post March 12, 2011, 10:53
by Paul Plots
xx
faverolles/foxy

Started by wildwitchy on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 23:02
by wildwitchy

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 37 queries.