Growing Chilli's

• 7 Replies

fatbelly

Growing Chilli's
« on: October 13, 2013, 13:31 »
Hi All,
This season in my G/House I didn't bother with Toms instead I grew 17 Jalapeņo Chilli's  plants I have had a fantastic harvest.

Next year I intend to do the same but space in the G/H is limited. Has anyone had any success with outdoor Chilli's?If so what variety and were they worth growing?
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

smilydog

Re: Growing Chilli's
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 13:52 »
Hi FB

We grew Purple Jalapenos this year, and harvested just over 5KG from 10 plants, all outside. Also have had 14KG of Peppers from 15 plants from the same bed. But it has been a fantastic summer this year, so better than most years

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 16:18 »
They did well outside this year but that won't probably be true every year. We had quite a lot of sun this year  :)

I visited a stately home garden in N Derbys recently and they'd grown all the chillies outside and they'd gone mad. Lots of varieties too and all seemingly stacked with fruit  :) 

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 21:38 »
Hungarian Hot Wax do well outside even in a cool year  ;)  This year I also had the Chenzo outside and been pleased with the amazing crop - and they only got limited sunlight where they were located so I'd imagine would also do well.

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 18:19 »
My golden cayenne did OK outside this year, but again, probably thanks to the unusually sunny summer. I had 3 plants in a small greenhouse and 1 outside, and each plant produced about the same number of chillis. The outdoor chillis took longer to ripen, however, and aren't quite as hot (which is a blessing, as the g/h ones are scorchingly hot).

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 20:21 »
We grew a chilli plant outside this year, an Apache (F1),  bought when B&Q were selling them off half-price. Didn't bother re-potting it, just stood it in a sunny spot by a wall, gave it some tomato food, and it has produced lots of chillis. Too many for us, but we've given them to friends and family. It's indoors now, on a sunny windowsill, and still going strong. Hoping to overwinter it for next year.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 21:16 »
I'm another Chenzo fan - mine have done really well outside, and in small pots. Covered in fruit, same as last year. All my chillies are in pots so I can bring them in to overwinter, but I do have far too many.

Anyone want a lemondrop or two?  :nowink:

Willow_Warren

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 11:59 »
I grew my chillis mainly inside - conservatory/grow house etc (just putting out on sunny days).  However when we went for a tour of the chilli farm she really encouraged grown them outside.  Of course most of theirs were in poly tunnels but they did have some outside and they seemed to do well.

I really enjoy growing chillies even though I don't like eating them!

H :)

xx
Chilli plants not flowering or growing chilli's?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 12:12
by gobs
xx
Chilli growing help

Started by WeavingGryphon on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 07, 2020, 08:50
by WeavingGryphon
xx
Chilli growing

Started by Loftuz on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 22:33
by compostqueen
xx
Chilli for growing outside

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 03, 2011, 11:58
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.495 seconds with 36 queries.