Parsnips and frost

• 16 Replies

heygrow

• Experienced Member
Parsnips and frost
« on: October 11, 2013, 18:14 »
What is the truth about parsnips needing a good frost before pulling up. I know it is supposed to sweeten them up, but does anyone know how? The frost can't get down that deep into the ground, so only the tops would get the frost. ??? Anyone had experience of comparing parsnips pre and post frost?

My parsnips are a good size and ready for eating, but should I wait for the colder weather and frost?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 19:52 by heygrow »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Pasnips and frost
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 18:18 »
I've always wondered how a frost "penetrates" enough of the root to make a difference (but they are sweeter, in my experience, after a frost).

An option, early in the season, is to lift them and put them in the freezer for "a while" - there is probably a recommended time for that, but I don't know if longer matters, or not.

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 19:04 »
Yes I heard about the freezer trick and did that with one. It was very sweet, but I don't know if it would have been sweet without freezing. Also I found it was a bit mushy on the outside after cooking and suspect that could have been caused by freezing. I suppose I will have to experiment with one not subject to frost and see if there is any difference.

solway cropper

Re: Parsnips and frost
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 22:02 »
I never bother waiting for a frost as I've never noticed any difference. Anyway, if you like parsnips why torture yourself by waiting. Lifted the first of mine a couple of weeks ago and they were bootiful!

the goodlife

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 07:14 »
No truth behind it , ive pulled mine before and after frost and I think I does not make a difference in the taste , but Brussels there is truth behind that but with the severe cold snap on its way we may have too much of the cold and the white stuff so I would say cover them with a good layer of straw as they will be fine left in the ground and get ready for this see link copy n paste it

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/436170/Worst-winter-for-decades-Record-breaking-snow-predicted-for-November
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 07:15 by the goodlife »

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 08:28 »
Parsnips taste good before frost and even better after. :)

That's a scary Daily Express weather forecast, for the whole winter to come, posted above.  :ohmy: Whilst it's difficult for anyone to predict the weather too far into the future, the consensus I have read is that November is likely to be wetter than average and December drier. Both average or slightly below average in temperature.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 09:08 »
Yes I heard about the freezer trick and did that with one. It was very sweet, but I don't know if it would have been sweet without freezing. Also I found it was a bit mushy on the outside after cooking and suspect that could have been caused by freezing. I suppose I will have to experiment with one not subject to frost and see if there is any difference.

As it gets cooler parsnips change from producing starches to producing sugars. Yes, they do get sweeter as Winter approaches. I doubt if putting them in the freezer has any effect at all.

Covering with a layer of straw or other insulating material so that they are digable when it is very frosty is a good idea but do not do it while the parsnips still have green leaves as they are still growing.

One tip. When you dig parsnips and they have no leaves they are sometimes difficult to locate, especially if there is a covering of snow. As you finish digging some put a stick in by the next root to be dug.

Another tip. Although it is exiting to get a whole 3 foot root out the bottom part less than an inch across is not pracically useable. I never use a fork. Dig a hole with a spade between the rows and then push the spade down at an angle so that it cuts through the root at about 12 inches down. The root pulls out easily.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 15:20 »
No truth behind it , ive pulled mine before and after frost and I think I does not make a difference in the taste , but Brussels there is truth behind that but with the severe cold snap on its way we may have too much of the cold and the white stuff so I would say cover them with a good layer of straw as they will be fine left in the ground and get ready for this see link copy n paste it

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/436170/Worst-winter-for-decades-Record-breaking-snow-predicted-for-November

See here for the Met Office's robust rubbishing of the Daily Express ...
http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2013/10/12/winter-forecasting-responding-to-the-headlines/
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 16:35 »
Not at all sure that long-range weather forecasts actually constitute "news" - they are notoriously inaccurate unless so vague that they can hardly ever be called completely wrong!  ::)

I suppose it's a conversation piece for some weather-obsessed Brits, including whether the picture of a "30 foot wave" at Hartlepool was actually a much smaller wave shooting upwards as it hit the structure.
I can almost picture some not-so-bright spark at the Daily Express sitting in front of the image with a tape measure - "hmm, so assuming the two men are about six foot tall............."

I obviously don't live at the seaside now, but loved to go down and watch rough seas when I lived in Hastings, and I can assure you that if there had ever been 30' waves approaching the prom I probably wouldn't be here writing this now!  :lol:

Back on topic  ::), I don't think there's any doubt that parsnips convert some of their starch to sugars in frosty conditions, presumably because sugar is a better anti-freeze than starch, although not everyone thinks this improves the flavour - THIS article suggests that the flavour is better just before the first frost, although I must admit the logic of the statement (under "harvesting") escapes me!  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 20:40 »
I love parsnips, and as they really only do their best when they're roasted, I don't think I notice if they're pre-frosted or not.

I suppose if you boiled one, then you might find some difference, but after a spell in a cooker with a lot of fat or olive oil, it would take a genius to work out whether it had been dug during a frost or not!

And why bother anyway, they really are a British seasonal root crop to be savoured!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 11:06 »
get ready for this see link copy n paste it
Good to hear that this year it is only "Worst winter for decades" or "Worst winter for a generation", last November The Express said it was going to be "Worst winter for 100 years" - and it turned out ... "average"

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/358717/Coldest-winter-in-100-years-on-way

And the year before, in October 2011, it was going to be a "mini ice age"

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/276516/Britain-faces-a-mini-ice-age

still waiting for that to happen ...

Beggars belief to me that anyone buys their paper!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 17:32 »
The DE has two types of headlines:
1. Diana, Princess of Wales
2. Weather

::) :lol:

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 20:51 »
And house prices.. :D

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 20:52 »
Seriously.I'm digging my first parsnips next week..frost or not

Sue33

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 23:07 »
Dug up and ate our first parsnip today, very nice it was too  :)

xx
Frost free parsnips

Started by dinbar51 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 21:09
by DD.
xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
The Frost!

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 00:15
by Paul Plots
xx
Dig the frost in

Started by vikingraider on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 03, 2023, 10:36
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.689 seconds with 38 queries.