Perhaps a new approach to clearing a plot?

• 23 Replies

Moonshine132435

• Aquired my plot on 13th April, a little daunting!
Perhaps a new approach to clearing a plot?
« on: October 11, 2013, 11:37 »
So, I have what might be a completely new question for the Board on the approach to clearing an allotment. I've been tending my current plot (a full plot, heavy soil) for two years now and recently scored the adjacant plot. This adjacent plot is the last plot on the allotment, right by the fence etc and has never been used as an allotment before. In fact it has been left to disintegrate over the last two years (looking on Google Earth it seems it was just overgrown/ unused before that). Consequently it was completely covered in knee-high grass (couch grass I suspect) and about 3/4 covered in very thick, man-high brambles.

As I have a fully working plot already I have plenty of time to get the new plot into shape, and the luxury of allowing it to be somewhat less productive in return for it being more attractive and useful. In particular, I'd like a bit of space on it to put up a picknick bench I've lucked into, and also some space for my kids to play etc. Over the last week I've cut all the grass and brambles down, and I'll strimm it further it to get it very short indeed.

So, my question: My current plot I had completely covered in cardboard and matting for nearly a year to get it ready, and that was very effective though it's hard to get that much cardboard together and not all together maintenance free. As I don't need to rush with the new plot, what if I strimm it sufficiently that I can get my lawnmower over it regularly. I hear just mowing regularly helps weaken the weeds, and perhaps it will be nice enough that I can use it for the kids while I start to cultivate it little by little, rather than cardboard/ weed matting the whole thing? If that isn't enough, do you think that approach, plus broadcasting a lot of grass seed will get me there?

My concern is that I'll be mowing every week, but still only have a plot with short, scrubby nettles/ thistles/ brambles and so it's effectively useless for the kids; rather than investing the effort up front and carboarding the whole thing over.
Aquired a full plot on 13th April; exited and a little awed in equal measure.

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
Re: Perhaps a new approach to clearing a plot?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 11:57 »
I'd attack the bramble roots and nettles, get them out, then seed where they were.  Regular strimming next season won't let anything fight back enough to spoil the sward.
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 12:02 »
I found that the brambles and gone-wild rasps were more easily removed after covering for ages with black sheet mulch.  I'd struggled trying to dig the darned things up, got exhausted so covered them over. They soon gave up the ghost, lost vigour, so they just pulled out easily in the end. You have to be patient though but it was worth the wait. I just got on with work in another bit of the plot while the weeds etc were slowly dying under the mulch

I too just mowed a section of the plot, weeds and all.  It looks respectable now and I planted fruit trees in it to make an orchard  :)  Like you say if you keep mowing it gets there in the end. You can touch weed the thuggish weeds if you wish  :) 

Steady as you go is my motto  :D

madcat

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 12:06 »
We had a scruffy patch of nettles and couch at the back of our plot which we decided to adopt.  Cut it down and composted everything possible, yanked out the bramble and briar (not as bad as yours) at the end of the season and in the spring, cut it regularly and the nettles etc never got going again.  The grass filled in .... and we ended up with a nice sitting area for when backs hurt and tea calls.   :)

Then I thought about the odd herb container and he needed somewhere for the wire netting and the barrow and .... where did those seats go?    :(
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Moonshine132435

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 14:36 »
Thanks for all your responses, very enlightening. It seems I might be able to go with mulching only what I'm going to plant on, de-brambeling the rest and making sure I keep mowing and strimming. Good news!

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 16:14 »
Would it not be better to allow someone else on the waiting list, if such exists, to make use of this second plot rather than just land banking it for future use?

Do you really need al that lettuce/

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 18:59 »
Would it not be better to allow someone else on the waiting list, if such exists, to make use of this second plot rather than just land banking it for future use?

That's quite insulting to Moonshine.  You have no idea whether there is a waiting list and, if there is one, whether anyone on it is willing to take the plot on.  The site organisers have seen fit to offer it to her within the terms of the site's T&Cs and she is willing to bring it into cultivation for the first time. She isn't just keeping until she feels like gardening it at some point in the undefined future, just so someone else can't have it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 19:00 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 19:09 »
I manage our waiting list and am having trouble letting vacant plots at the moment. 

I think the "allotment popularity bubble" has burst  :ohmy:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 20:28 »
There are folk dropping out of our waiting list like flies.

Moonshine, if you have been offered this rather unpromising sounding piece of ground, you can turn it into anything you feel suitable.

I like your plan of having somewhere to sit and the children to play safely. Perhaps you could combine this with some fruit trees once you have it tamed.

Best of luck with it  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 20:29 »
It sounds good to me too :D

Eblana

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 20:34 »
I manage our waiting list and am having trouble letting vacant plots at the moment. 

I think the "allotment popularity bubble" has burst  :ohmy:

I agree we have a good few empty plots this year.  As our site is private we could always rent additional plots but used to have to pay the full 350 euro fee for each one but this year a number of people did deals and got two adjacent plots for 450.  The plot behind me is vacant and the one beside me was set with spuds by a group of plot holders.  If no one takes them next year I am thinking of doing a deal with the owner for one or other of them so that I can grow cut flowers and would probably have a setting area as well.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 20:35 »
Sounds a sensible approach, Eblana

wasthiswise

• Prettiest Pumpkin Grower - 2013
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 23:07 »
350 euro each sounds a lot to me. How much land does that get you? Thats pricy in my view. I pay £20 for a full plot.

Moonshine132435

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 08:40 »
I do understand Brokenglass' argument, and I don't think hogging a plot just so someone else can't have it is fair, but that's not what I am intending to do. I also think it's interesting that some are seeing the allotment bubble waning, as that's what I see too as the whole Make Do And Mend trend fades.

At our allotment a whole lot of unused land was strimmed down two years ago, at the poor end of the allotment where there was the least light and worst drainage. They turned this into five new plots, one of which (the second worst) I got. All five were rented out, though three of the allotmenteers didn't last more than a few months. It's one of those (unfortunately the worst situated plot) that I now have. It's had two years to fill with couch grass and brambles, starting at waist high and at the far side ending with brambles almost a meter higher than me.

I was given the plot allmost immediately upon request so the council  saw a win win situation as I'm bound by the same terms as everybody else; either I get it working, or I've cleared it, given up and returned it. In fact, that was pretty much the exact convo I had with our site liaison when he asked if I could manage two plots alongside two very young children. And while I am happy that I won't have a neighbour on that side and I will take my time making it productive, I will eventually turn it into a working plot, albeit with less intensive. production than my current one.

And , just for the record, I'm a He, not a She ;-)
ps apologies for the repost, I pressed the wrong button half way through
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 09:10 by Moonshine132435 »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 08:43 »
it seems that post needs the *some text missing* warning added to it  ::)

xx
How to approach my new plot

Started by ghrobbo on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 28, 2014, 14:21
by ghrobbo
xx
help - clearing plot

Started by mike1987 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 20:30
by Dom2599
xx
Clearing a new plot

Started by tuckers_luck on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2013, 23:36
by gavinjconway
xx
clearing my plot

Started by gidster on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 18:28
by harrymac

Page created in 0.669 seconds with 38 queries.