My poor cauliflowers

• 8 Replies

Dandy

My poor cauliflowers
« on: October 05, 2013, 16:59 »
This is our first year at our allotment and things have not been doing as they say on the packet. Our sprouts have been eaten along with our cabbages. And our caulies - well they are all brown and yukky on top, does anyone have any suggestions as to what has caused this.
4c814c623fd6485eca57415cb877b5ce.jpg

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: My poor cauliflowers
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 17:14 »
My only successful cauli's went like this - I think it's to do with too much rain in the late stages - it can cause a rot I think.
It's recommended to bend some of the big leaves over the white curds so the rain doesn't get to the curds.

Shame though - it's such an effort to grow them :(

Dandy

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 17:43 »
Thanks for the advice. Do you think its too late to save them? I was going to dig them all up tomorrow.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 18:05 »
I'd have thought you'd be able to chop off the manky bits and save the rest (whether frozen or cooked immediately).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 19:01 »
Looks as though the slugs have had a go at them. One piece of advice with cauliflower is to eat them as soon as you see them. Usually if you wait for them to fill out and mature something like this happens to them.

gobs

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 00:53 »
Just my thought too, however bad it looks, it might just be slug damage. In this case, as Yorkie says.

For future, do more in the slug control department, that's where soft rot and such like can set in.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 08:37 »
Had the same problem with my 'All Year Round' which makes me think that they're not all year round at all...

Seem to remember that caulis used to be for winter cropping, and that a cool/spell was needed to trigger head formation (vernalisation?).  But the plant breeders keep coming up with new varieties, and claims for them, without telling us the downside, which downside could just be the weather in summer and autumn, and a greater vulnerability to pests, and a plant with less vigour, and....
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 09:14 »
I'd have thought you'd be able to chop off the manky bits and save the rest (whether frozen or cooked immediately).

Doesn't look very appealing though does it? :(
When mine looked like that, it does go right down into the curds and smells and you don't even want to attempt eating it.
Calabrese broccolli can get the same thing with their curds as well - the last couple of mine didn't look edible - I should have covered the curd with a leaf to protect it.  It was however the most successful year for calabrese for me ever though, so there is hope for caulis in the future - provided they don't get eaten by slugs as all mine have this year  ::)

chillimummy

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 12:23 »
 My caulis were looking small but lovely and white a week ago. Left them til yesterday to give them time to grow bigger. Started to yellow so picked them all. They were full of slugs and caterpillars. Salvaged enough for a meal and didnt tell family about the creatures! Were netted well so wonder why the caterpillars? Think will try slug pellets next year  ???
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

xx
cauliflowers

Started by Becci W on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 15:14
by Paul Plots
xx
cauliflowers

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2008, 09:42
by essexpaul
xx
cauliflowers

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 08, 2012, 18:28
by m1ckz
xx
cauliflowers,

Started by bowler on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 19:11
by realfood

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 29 queries.