Help for next years corn

• 28 Replies

RobRob

Help for next years corn
« on: October 05, 2013, 09:10 »
I had a dissapointing crop of corn. I was expecting amazing results because we have had lots of sun.
I bought 32 plants from Marshall's, honeydew variety. Half of which died because they were a bit mashed in transit but I tried to save them.
The ones that survived only had heads not as bit as I would expect and then the pollination was pretty rubbish! Half if not more of each is not pollinated.
Advice for next years attemp would be very much appreciated.
   Having had a moan, the corn that has grown was soooooooo sweet it didn't make it back to the house! All just unwrapped and eaten on the spot! Cooking it was just not an option.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Help for next years corn
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 09:22 »
The trouble with growing corn is that you are reliant on the weather conditions being exactly right at pollination time.
I had a lot of half cobs this year, cos it was wet and windy on the few days when pollen was being released  :(

There's not a lot you can do about the weather  :dry:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 09:23 »
Did you plant them in a block, rather than a row?  Because they are wind pollinated a block works much better for pollination. (A really windy site will be a problem too - the pollen will had off to the next county!)

They don't like being transplanted, so I am very careful with that stage; I grow mine in pots that I make from rolling a sheet of newspaper around an aerosol can, so that I can then plant them out "whole" undisturbed, but I think that most people grow them in pots and transplant them without a problem. However, I wonder if the ones you bought had hung about a bit and got rootbound or stressed, which contributed to them not doing well? - the fact some died may point to that too.

Or perhaps they got cold in the lousy Spring we had?  They aren't very good with cold. 

Plenty of nitrogen early on, next year, and water and I reckon you should be fine.  Better weather in the Spring will help :)

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 11:29 »
lesson I learnt we corn is don't plant next to a fence had great crop from it but when picked cobs from near fence the mice had ,had a field day tukkin into them lol >:(

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 11:58 »
We have had a fab year. We grew incredible i think  :wacko: i will double check amazon as i got them from there. Brilliant crop after a wobbly start, we are still picking now.

Ours were very cosy and in a block, i dont do proper spacings in they go and fingers crossed with corn. They like a nice hug  ;)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 15:30 »

I grew "Applause" from seed,  at about three inches high I rammed 'em in a bed about six inches between plants each way in a block formation.  Early on I had to prop a few up with canes but when they started growing - no bother.  The cobs are now filling the largest basket in the freezer and taste marvelous.  It's Applause for me next year. :)

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 15:34 »

RobRob

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 16:27 »
My spacing was around 18 inches each way, but as half died, you could double that with some. Would closer be better next year?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 18:08 »
I would not go any closer than about 15" because the risk is of no pollination if they are too close.  Owing to the way in which they pollinate each other, this is one crop I wouldn't squash together too much.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

gobs

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 01:21 »
What Kristen and Yorkie say is rather correct, however, you mention, so many were ruined in transport. They also need to be at the same stage of development to get good pollination.

I'd think - if you can - grow from seed. It's very easy. One seed a 9cm pot about 4 weeks before planted out.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 09:14 »
You could try chitting the sweetcorn.

Read this thread to help you along

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=93137.0

allotmentann

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 09:40 »
I also brush and shake the pollen out as I pass the plants on my plot, as often as possible, to help it along. I grow mine from seed, in pots and transplant when I think the weather is warm enough. I do have to net them to stop the pigeons from shredding them whilst they are very young, but once they get a bit bigger they are fine. Until they are ripe, when I have to get there before the badgers!   :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 10:02 »
You can compensate to some extent for crowding them in more closely than recommended by removing or bending (which often has the same effect) leaves which are clearly blocking the path of the pollen from the tassels to the silks (don't overdo it though!) They are hungry plants so need plenty of food, especially when they are growing fast and if your soil is on the poor side.

Staggering the sowing by a couple of weeks and planting out the second block upwind of but adjacent to the first can help with overall pollination of later silks, although you need to "pick" a good summer for that to work as intended  ::), and as Mum has said the weather is always critical for a crop which can be rather borderline in the British climate.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

chillimummy

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 12:13 »
Have picked a few of my corn cobs and although they taste quite nice,they look bit like the actual corn needs to fill out a bit more. Leaving them for bit longer but wonder if too late in year?  ???
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 17:27 »
I'm assuming that the "nice tasting" kernels were fully developed, and would have produced a thin creamy juice if squashed (before cooking, of course.)

Although the kernels don't quite ripen all at once, it's more likely that the unfilled ones were simply not pollinated (as is often the case a picture would help.)

xx
Popping corn - sweet corn seeds.

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 09:21
by Snow
xx
It's only taken 14 years...

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2014, 10:35
by surbie100
xx
If this was 200 years ago!

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 25, 2008, 13:24
by LivvyW
xx
Next years tom's.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 09, 2022, 17:13
by New shoot

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 39 queries.