Training apples!

• 5 Replies

lazza

• Experienced Member
Training apples!
« on: October 03, 2013, 14:53 »
OK, so I've been following the RHS advice on how to train my apple trees along a fence. So far, so good. The twigs that were planted last year have developed nicely into two '+' shaped trees. But now I'm not sure what to do next.

I don't think I quite understand what the RHS advice means as it says:

Cut back the vertical stem to within 45cm (18in) or the lower arms, leaving two buds to form the next horizontal layer and the top bud to form the new leader. If growth is weak, prune back the horizontal branches by one-third to downward facing buds

Does this mean the leaf buds on the main stem? If so, do I strip off the leaves, or will simply grow back as branches next year when the leaves have dropped off in the Autumn? Also, the buds are quite far apart, so getting growth from three consecutive buds will give quite widely spaced side branches, I assume (?) or will side branches grow from several buds? I am not sure how I "make sure" the growth happens in the right place.

Also, do I need to prune the side branches? It mentions doing this if growth is weak, but does this mean if next year's growth is weak or this year's (which it hasn't been). And in the long term, can I just keep on trimming the side branches or will this cause multiple splitting of the brnaches?
apples.jpg

simonwatson

Re: Training apples!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 16:35 »
First off, formative pruning is done in winter, so the buds will be easy to see.

It means prune the vertical stem back to a point where there are two buds at the right height to form the next two horizontal branches, whilst leaving a third bud above to form the next vertical leader. You can't control where the buds are, so just find the best placed ones and use them. Buds adjacent to a cut pretty much always grow. Buds further down less so, but they might. You could rub out the other buds to discourage them.

If you don't think this years growth was weak, then you don't need to prune the side branches this winter.

Once established, there's a different type of pruning you need to do to encourage the tree to keep its shape and draw sap along the horizontals.

Looks good so far, well done.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 21:54 »
wait til all the leaves are off and snip it just below the next wire, shorten the horizontals by a third as the rhs says.all will be well - you will have a new leader and at least 2 new horizontals for the next tier next year.
dont do it til the leaves are off tho to make sure all the sap has gone back down or you will restrict next years growth.i do mine in december or january when the tree is bare.

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 10:41 »
Thanks. Very helpful.

And just to be sure: I still take off any blossom next year? Didn't get any this year, so not a problem, but I think I read it helps the tree establish if you remove the blossom for two years, is that right?

simonwatson

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 14:19 »
That's right. You want the tree to concentrate on structure in its first few years. Once the structure is in place, you can sit back and enjoy the fruit.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 19:11 »
after 2 years u could let it set 1 apple to taste but knock off all the rest

xx
Training apricot fan

Started by Maxine Groobey on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 19:35
by DavidT
xx
espalier training

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 15:18
by gillie
xx
containing and training raspberries

Started by jennyb on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 12, 2008, 08:01
by jennyb
xx
restricting / training BNS

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 20:44
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 36 queries.