Lunar Planting

• 18 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Lunar Planting
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 10:02 »
Quote from: "milkman"
Couldn't Val's hanging baskets have done well as a result of Val's TLC?!

I expect you're right - she certainly looks after them well.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
Lunar Planting
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 12:16 »
While it is true to say that the moon has a noticeable effect on things like tides etc, and must therefore be a force to be reckoned with, the fact that everyone seems to be overlooking is the fact that the moon is always there WHOLE and entire. Its mass does not change, just the amount of sunlight that hits it.

Is moonlight strong enough to produce photosynthisis?

Is this reflected sunlight strong enough to break seed dormancy?

Is there extra reflected sunlight occurring in regular monthly periods in this notoriously cloudy country?

Regular mooncycles would have been the only way for populations to keep track of important seasonal tasks in the days before Internet, and these tasks were probably embedded into rhymes and ditties to aid memorability.

The real triggers for seed germination are soil temperature, soil moisture and in some cases light intensity. (Sunlight). My belief is that sowing by the moon was simply a crude guide to sowing and harvesting times similar to the instructions on the back of modern seed packets.

How many people here have taken a packet of seed that states "Sow May to July" and successfully sown in August. Results will vary according to the weather conditions prevailing locally.

I am a non-beleiver.

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Lunar Planting
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006, 13:26 »
Indeed, the moons effect on the seas is very obvious. But the moons orbit is not circular, but elliptical, hence at certain times of year it is closer than others, this accounts for spring and neap tides. Studies have shown that the gravitational influence of the moon affects life cycles in shell fish, oysters for example when taken 1000s of mile from their home shore would open and close in sympathy with the home tides for several days.

I think however that it is doubtfull that the lunar gravity has any effect of closed fluid systems, like us and plants. The effect would just be too weak.

The reason lunar planting was used by the ancients is simple - the moon is a bl00dy big thing in the sky, and watching it over the course of a year is easy. At autumn, the moon is often closest, and optical effects in the atmosphere at low angles make it seem very big. So a big moon like that coincided with the crops being ready, and so is known as the Harvest Moon. Look up native american indian mythology, and you will see they had many different moon names depending on time of year. For instance one that coincided with wild herd movements, when hunting was easy, was the Blood Moon.

More usefull for planting though is the solar angle, a low sun (winter) meant colder temperatures, a high sun hotter climate.

The idea of waxing and waning having any affect is rubbish. Incidentally less powerfull spring and neap tides also occur due to the position of the moon relative to the sun. Waxing and waning simply relates to the ammount of illumination the moon receives from the sun.

Martin
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

trapper

Lunar Planting
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 20:39 »
I once did a moonie planting, near to SELSEY BILL  with  that bloke with a funny eye and who plays the glockenspeil!( Does the stars at night !!)He was a guest at our foray!!!!. guest speaker and all that , and he suggested that if you feed your chickens wearing nothing but wellies and a soft felt hat, you would be safe from lunar pull !!which makes your  veg grow to the left. I omitted the hat and all is now dressed to the right. So lunar planting is ok with me,as I dress to the right!. On a more serious note if you plant your veg at night , no one can see what you are doing ,and can't copy. Your little secrets all will be safe and only the bunnies will know!!.(Guess you will have to eat the bunnies.)Shhhxxt wots his name ! Patrick Moore thats it now I can settle down. Lunar Planting Get orf on yer. Stick to daylight, Sorry went off on one althought the original thread may have a point. Each to there own.
Cheers Trapper
The things I sow sometimes dont grow I'm sorley disenchanted. But oh what fun I have with stuff ,I havn't even planted.

xx
lunar planting

Started by CHRIS THE VEG on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post April 23, 2007, 12:55
by ytyynycefn
xx
Lunar planting

Started by Elmarto on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2014, 11:23
by mumofstig
xx
Lunar Planting anyone?

Started by john9159 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 30, 2008, 18:43
by DD.
xx
lunar planting

Started by sarajane on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 22:41
by sarajane

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 36 queries.