no eggs!!!!

• 8 Replies

wynfra

no eggs!!!!
« on: September 30, 2013, 18:42 »
Hi After mr fox decimated my little flock,8 chucks in 2 days. :mad: We bought 4 young Legbars.... oh!!!!! blue eggs, :) that was in june and still no eggs!!!! :mad: they were 8/10 weeks old when bought and was assured they would be laying in 6/8 weeks,  :lol:well they are eating very well and loving thier new electric enclosed grass area, plenty of space for them, they are even practising flying!! well fluttering! :wacko: Anyone any idea when we might see a blue egg, any egg would be nice :ohmy: is there a threat or formula that I can give them, tried ''sage and onion stuffing'' several times, I'm sure I heard them tittering!!!! any help would be appreciated. thanks

splash101

Re: no eggs!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 19:32 »
cream legbars are about 25 weeks old before they start laying I believe. Some maybe sooner, some maybe later.

I have very little patience and usually when i've given up looking in the nest box 23 times a day, they surpirse me.

You may have to wait a few more weeks yet, on the plus side, at lease they aren't crowing  ::)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 19:33 by splash101 »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 19:48 »
Are their combs and wattles getting red yet?  Another indicator of nearly ready to lay is the gap between the pin bones just under their vent.  Initially there is no gap and then one, two and finally three finger gap means imminent laying.  They also start to squat/curtsey when you approach them when they are nearly ready to start laying.

On the bad news side I have a bantam welsummer that I hatched last year in the spring and it was almost a year before she laid her first egg.   :ohmy:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 22:09 »
you may have to wait until next spring before you get any eggs and please remember that they may not be blue but a bluey green or even an olive colour depending upon their parentage.
Staffies are softer than you think.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 04:04 »
I was given some legbar crosses in June, age not known, but they took forever to come in to lay. Even when the rest of the hatch were laying (still with the chap who gave them to us) they were still living the life of leisure. But they got there eventually and laid really well till just recently when the days have shortened. Not many now.

I did the same as you, re-named them all, Sage, Onion, Stuffing, Baco and Foil.....and a few other names. Afraid it doesn't work, you just have to be patient! :lol:

grinling

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 08:46 »
I think all of mine have come out in sympathy of Speckles who is feathering up quite quickly after this moult. As she is 8 though her eggs are no good...no shell!!!
I blame the daylight hours... 1 egg a day from the lot.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 09:20 »
Same here, I'm getting between 1 and 3 eggs per day from 9 hens.  There are lots of feathers in their run but none look baldy, they only ever seem to do a partial moult.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 10:08 »
My two Shumen girls, who were starting to look really good after we got them half feathered, have now got bald patches. It's their second autumn so their first full moult, but they are laying about three eggs each per week. The youngsters are laying few.

Springlands

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 20:14 »
The egg production is definitely falling off - we are lucky to get 2/3 eggs per day out of our 11 hens. But they did well all spring and summer and need a rest.

They are nearly all in the moult, there are enough feathers in the run to make a duvet.  And the hen house in the morning looks like they have been having pillow fights.  :lol:

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 29 queries.