When is best to apply fish blood and bone meal on my allotment?

• 3 Replies

Magz

Just finished renovating (totally overgrown and hardly recognisable as anywhere to grow anything apart from weeds, brambles and bine weed!) my new allotment.  Used a friends tiller to get the ground broken up.  Is now the time to put FBBM onto the soil or should I leave it until early in the New Year?  Help novice needing advice please?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: When is best to apply fish blood and bone meal on my allotment?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 18:29 »
Welcome to the site  :D

I'll move this question across to the Grow Your Own part of the forum, but do pop back into the Welcome part to introduce yourself for a proper welcome  :)

It'll also help if you could edit your forum profile to add your general location - often helpful in answering questions.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 18:29 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Totty

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 18:36 »
Welcome!

I wouldn't bother with adding any now if your leaving the ground bare for winter.
Let the frosts and rain hit into the soil, then a month or so before your first plants go out, feed the BFB and rake or tiller it in.
It's also excellent for raking in after a crop has finished, before the following crop is planted.

Totty

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 18:44 »
Is now the time to put FBBM onto the soil or should I leave it until early in the New Year?
Apply when you want plants to grow actively, so not (noramlly) during the Winter season

Generally speaking, in the Spring/Summer apply to the soil 2 weeks before sowing / planting, and hoe/rake in to "incorporate" into the soil.  Don't worry about watering in if applied before the plants/seeds are planted/sown.

For things that are already planted (e.g. overwintered) which you want to give a boost to apply in spring once the weather has warmed up and the plants start to make new growth.  Again try to incorporate into the soil, although you may need to avoid damaging plant roots, particularly for anything very shallow rooting, and keep all fertilizers away from the stem of the plant (otherwise they can "burn" the plant).  If not rain within a few days after application best to water in.

xx
Potash, Bone meal and Blood fertilizer.

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 24, 2008, 14:58
by John
xx
blood fish and bone

Started by david dill on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 26, 2008, 19:42
by DANNY
xx
blood fish and bone???

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 15:40
by gavinjconway
xx
Blood fish bone

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 16, 2011, 19:01
by realfood

Page created in 0.5 seconds with 28 queries.