My New Obsession.

• 57 Replies

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
Re: My New Obsession.
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2013, 20:15 »
I have jammed, jellied, pickled and chutneyed for weeks.s. Have now run out of jars.  Trouble is that the printer wasn't working for the labels, and I was sure I would remember what was in all the jars...

Same as knowing what is in the freezer no hope :D
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Mrs Bee

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2013, 20:54 »
As I am at the 'Can't Remember A Flipping Thing' CRAFT stage of life, I keep a stash of post it labels to label the jars before I print and label them properly.

Trillium

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2013, 02:38 »
#1 son came home with 2 dozen more wide-mouth mason jars and some pint jars from the thrift shop. That's on top of the several dozen he brought 2 weeks ago. Guess we might have enough now  :D

Did more tomato soup a few days ago and today I got another big bucket of tomatos for yet more soup. Red peppers are still coming in, and kale chips will be getting done later this week. Gotta catch up on my sleep to keep up  :nowink:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2013, 22:32 »
Bit more passata done (although not a fabulous year for my toms). Will probably do the last of the pickled squash and soup at the weekend. Going to do some bullace cordial and cheese too as we have buckets around here.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2013, 13:46 »
Got given 3 buckets of bramleys by my mum's cousin a couple of days ago so have spent the morning making apple puree and apple butter. :D

Put me back a bit on the plan for soup and cordial! OH has also decided he wants me to make a load of the kasundi that he really likes as it goes really well as a sauce to cook lamb in. Think it will need to be made with green tomatoes and bought aubergines this time though!

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2013, 10:13 »
My name is Emma and I too am a Preservaholic! :D
Specifically a jam-aholic.

I have a shelf in the garage - cool but frost free covered in jams and my first attempt at caramelised onion and balsamic chutney - delish :happy:

I bought a preserving book this year and used up a few cukes in a pickled cuke recipe.
Now they discoloured pretty quickly to a pickled gherkin colour green rather than the fresh green they started - does anyone know if this is correct or have they gone off?? :unsure:

snowdrops

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2013, 11:41 »
I've fallen out with the idea of chutney making. I started Delia's green tomato  yesterday about noon, I turned it off last night ala Mrs Bee recommendation on another thread to someone. it just won't reduce to bottling consistency & it's caught on the bottom of the maslin pan :mad: I transferred some to my Le Creuset pan & have got 4 jars done,so now the rest is in there.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Trillium

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2013, 15:51 »
I've always found that cukes change colour when vinegar is added. By how much depends on what was in the recipe. Cumin/turmeric make them more drab in colour because it's added to make the deeper colour.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2013, 18:41 »
I am still ploughing my way through tomatoes: plain bottling for this last lot.

Got side tracked by cleaning out a cupboard and finding lots of jars with ancient (bought) contents. These have now been added to my stash of empty jars neatly in the garage.

Now have a pile of pears in the kitchen to bottle and pickle so will have to start at a run in the morning, as apples will soon be arriving
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Mrs Bee

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2013, 10:04 »
My name is Emma and I too am a Preservaholic! :D
Specifically a jam-aholic.

I have a shelf in the garage - cool but frost free covered in jams and my first attempt at caramelised onion and balsamic chutney - delish :happy:

I bought a preserving book this year and used up a few cukes in a pickled cuke recipe.
Now they discoloured pretty quickly to a pickled gherkin colour green rather than the fresh green they started - does anyone know if this is correct or have they gone off?? :unsure:
This is the first year that we have grown gherkins and pickled them.
Yes they do discolour on pickling, but they will be OK to eat so long as you have salted them first and used a vinegar with at least 5% acidity.

I have played about with lots of different flavoured vinegars as I had so many to pickle.

Sue33

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2013, 14:17 »

I've caught the bug this year too  :lol: strawberry jam, raspberry jam, apple and blackberry jam, runner bean chutney, will be making green tomato chutney soon as well - now, what to do with the pumpkins  :unsure:

snowdrops

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2013, 16:02 »
Just made my first piccalilli. A Delia recipe. It went better than the tomato chutney except I didn't have enough mustard powder so had to go back out to but some more,having been out shopping already. :mad:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 19:05 by snowdrops »

Sue33

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2013, 16:43 »
The runner bean chutney has a mustard twang  ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2013, 19:06 »
Sue have you a recipe that you could share please,I still have loads of runners.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2013, 19:18 »
Just made my first piccalilli. A Delia recipe. It went better than the tomato chutney except I didn't have enough mustard powder so had to go back out to but some more,having been out shopping already. :mad:

Ben would like me to make piccalilli. :)

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 38 queries.