What is eating my plants?

• 4 Replies

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
What is eating my plants?
« on: September 29, 2013, 10:57 »
Last weekend I planted out in a freshly dug over bed that previously had strawberries in, some different varieties of kale and spring cabbages.  I used hoops and debris netting to keep out the birds and anything landing on the plants to eat it. 
The netting was secured down and I checked, and double checked to make sure nothing was going to get through or under my netting.  The netting is brand new so it does not have any holes in.  I put down some slug pellets in hope to stop the slugs from eating them as they have done before. 
I returned yesterday to find I have just stalks, well in some cases not even stalks, but no slime from any slugs, no birds or bugs anywhere to be seen.   The only other thing I do see around my plot is tiny little spiders about the size of a 5 pence coin, they are everywhere but never seen them on any plants of any kind over the years I have seen these spiders, so I don't think it's them.  I am at a loss to what it could be, does anyone have any ideas?
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: What is eating my plants?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 17:21 »
Doubt it's the spiders.

Given that you've had some stalks eaten, I would say slugs rather than caterpillars despite your precautions.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 18:32 »
I will be interested in any replies on this as mine are the same... Kale, tucked up inside netting, pellets down, checked for caterpillars, eaten away leaving the centre stalks.  It did look to be worse near the netting so the only thing I can think of is snails.
Anne

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 19:00 »
Or pigeons.

They are a dab hand at either bouncing on netting to get it down to touch the leaves they then peck away, or peck in from the sides.

The netting springs back when they fly away
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 19:14 »
Overnight my carrot green have been stripped  :ohmy: on closer inspection a big fat hungry caterpilar looked very smug indeed.

Hes gone to devon on a very long holiday.

xx
What's eating my plants

Started by Rosy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 15:31
by Salmo
xx
what's eating our plants? caterpillars!!

Started by Aitch on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 29, 2010, 15:36
by tosca100
xx
Whats eating my plants!

Started by dendass on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 14:36
by Trillium
sad
a beetle eating pea plants

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 05:48
by PAULW

Page created in 0.941 seconds with 36 queries.