Sour Dough Starter

• 9 Replies

SCassin

• Experienced Member
Sour Dough Starter
« on: September 26, 2013, 18:11 »
I appreciate there are a lot of topic on sour dough but a lot seem to be old and despite reading thro cant find an answer.  I have just started my starter!  First day I put the flour and warm water in a jar and waited for it to froth.  It was frothy after about 16 hours - I waited 24 hours and put the second lot of flour and water in.  After this is smelt horrid like sort of really mouldy blue cheese.  I have just now tipped away half the mix and put in todays flour and water.  It now smells of slightly sweeter blue cheese lol is this right?  I understood it would smell but crikey this is whiffy.  Does it eventually smell like dough?

I am hoping to do my first loaf with it at the weekend but this isn't filling me with confidence and I don't want to waste my flour - help please

compostqueen

Re: Sour Dough Starter
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 20:30 »
If you're following a recipe then you should be fine.  Actually it smells a bit vinegary at first.  Well I thought it did
If it's bubbling then that's the sign you're looking for.  Organic flour works best as it has more lives yeasts as it's not been treated with chemicals.  It's often not even more expensive than standard flour if you shop around

SCassin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 22:10 »
I only use organic for my bread anyway so that's whats in it  :D

allotmentann

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 07:01 »
If you read up about starters you will find the descriptions of how they smell at first vary wildly, but they usually settle down. I don't think they ever really smell doughy though. Usually slightly tangy. Unless they are showing signs of growing mould just keep going. Their rising ability also improves with time, mine took months to get really good (a very cold house).  Good luck with the weekend bake.   :)

SCassin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 08:10 »
I have mine sat on top of the boiler at present - the heating isn't on but that cupboard stays warm due to the pilot light etc.  I thought it good place to get it started and will move it once it fully underway and Im using so it isn't to hot

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 09:43 »
Your starter doesn't need to be in a warm place so I'd take it off the boiler and just keep it at the back of the kitchen worktop etc

SCassin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 17:21 »
Smells sweeter today so seems to be getting there - I will leave on boiler till I start to use it in couple of days then move it to kitchen cupboard.  Starting to look forward to trying it now it smells slightly better.  So what recipe do you gals use for sour bread?

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 20:26 »
My go to recipe is an Emmanuael Hadjiandreau one. I mix the flours that I use in it. Usually half white, and half oak smoked malt or a seed and grain mix.

75g starter
150 ml water
250g flour
4g salt

This makes one small loaf, I quadruple the recipe and make two large loaves. I also find I like more salt.
If I want to give my starter a boost, rather than putting it somewhere warm, I feed a little rye with my usual flour mix. Rye makes it really get going!
Do let us know how your bake goes.   :)

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
    • allotmentforaginghomebrewadventures
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 21:01 »
you've all inspired me to give this a go...

My go to recipe is an Emmanuael Hadjiandreau one. I mix the flours that I use in it. Usually half white, and half oak smoked malt or a seed and grain mix.

75g starter
150 ml water
250g flour
4g salt

This makes one small loaf, I quadruple the recipe and make two large loaves. I also find I like more salt.
If I want to give my starter a boost, rather than putting it somewhere warm, I feed a little rye with my usual flour mix. Rye makes it really get going!
Do let us know how your bake goes.   :)

do you just do a usual mix, knead, rise (I usually only bother with a single rise)  then bake it as you would a normal loaf?

Also, what temperature do you it bake at, allotmentann?

allotmentann

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 23:00 »
Ah, well there is where the skill comes in! I am still experimenting. Yes, just mix and knead as you normally would. But the rise times depend on the temperature of your dough, the temperature of the your room, the vigour of your starter, the type of flour and the volume of dough (a smaller quantity rises faster than a large one). Salt also slows it down, so the saltier the bread the longer the rise.
The good thing is that sourdough is more forgiving than commercially yeasted bread. I find the first rise takes around two hours in my coolish kitchen, but could go for much longer probably. The second rise takes a minimum of four to six hours. You just have to wait until it is ready. I can only tell by doing the 'poke' test.
When it is ready, get your oven as hot as it will go. Bake with steam ( hot water in a baking tray) for ten minutes, then turn down to 200 degrees/ gas mark 6 for thirty to thirty five minutes, until the internal temperature is 96-98 degrees.
Leave to cool in the oven with the door ajar, and don't slice for at least an hour. Ideally, leave until properly cool. Slicing hot bread ruins the crumb and texture. This is the hardest part!  :)

xx
Sour dough bread

Started by noshed on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post December 23, 2008, 19:10
by unaspenser
xx
Sour dough in breadmaker?

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 18:45
by Poolfield2
xx
SOUR DOUGH BREAD!!!.........

Started by Slowgrind on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 21:06
by azubah
xx
Sour dough bread

Started by New shoot on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 10:32
by Livinhope

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 30 queries.